Have cable card, why am I required to pay for a set top box?
BertNYC

After 6 calls to Verizon customer service I finally got my service set up with a cable card for TV and FIOS internet.  I made my original order online and the cable card was not an option there so the live chat person told me to select a tv set top box and then call in to switch it to a cable card.  That is what I did, except that it took about 6 calls to customer service to finally get it correct and even then they still sent me a box and then the card a couple days later.  All of the people I talked to told me to send the set top box back once I got the cable card.  The last one even sent me the mailer to send it back via UPS (which I did yesterday).  I called in today, because I received my first bill, to have the set top box charge taken off my bill and was told I had to have a set top box on my account!  First time anyone has told me that, and it is rediculous since I have a cable card in my Tivo which works fine with the service.  I have never had such a run around with customer service with any company before.  If I don't need a piece of equipment, I shouldn't have to pay for it.  Since I am working out of town for the next week, once I return I plan on contacting the local cable company and having Verizon replaced as my provider.  Has anyone else had a similar issue with Verizon?  I had them at a previous address for 5 years and they were great....now, they are aweful.

0 Likes
Re: Have cable card, why am I required to pay for a set top box?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If you have the cable card you do not need a STB.

0 Likes
BertNYC

I know that, but the customer service rep told me I do.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Actually some TV packages do require a STB after reading the terms of service.

0 Likes
BertNYC

Then why did the customer rep who helped me do the order over Live Chat tell me to swap out the STB for the cable card?  I told him exactly what I wanted and he told me what to do, which is exactly what I did...and had comfirmed from 3 other service reps?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You will need to speak to the reps about your particular package and if the STB is required based on your bundle.

0 Likes
JPhi1618

I just had this same issue.  Chat representatives in the past told me that I could sign up for a bundle and then call to have the STB swapped for a cable card.  So I signed up, called, was on hold so long the guy just said he would call me back.  He calls back and says that the STB is required, and there's nothing he can do.  So I have to pay $12/mo for something I don't need and will not use so I can use my CableCard....  So stupid.

Where in the terms does is specify that a set top box is mandatory for any type of service?  Provide a link, or we have to assume that those terms are not actually there.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Strictly I bug in the Software they use to handle accounts.

No STB is required.

0 Likes