No voice service from Verizon but Fios BBU battery required anyway?
jazzdog11

I have had Fios TV and Internet for about 4 years (no voice service), and the BBU battery seems to be dead and the system is beeping.  But since I dont have Verizon voice services, I dont need the battery backup feature, but the Online chat person is telling me that even though I dont need the battery back up feature, the battery is required by the system to be present to avoid the beeping.  So now I need to buy a battery I do not need.

Has anyone else with just fios TV and Internet experienced this, or is there a way to use Fios for TV and Internet without the battery?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: No voice service from Verizon but Fios BBU battery required anyway?
jhilronw2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi I had the same issue that many have with the beeping.

I took out the battery and checked it for voltage. Then I put it on a charger for about 30 seconds .

Then put it back in  it and no more beeping.

I bought a spare battery on Amazon for $19.95 with free delivery just in case.

All the best.

Jim

TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Good  Morning,

The battery back-up unit is needed for FIOS services period.  The battery supports the equipment outside in case of a power outage.  True it does support voice services primarily but is needed for the FIOS services.

Thanks,

Tonya C.

0 Likes
Amgrec
The backup battery is solely for the voice service. If you don't have voice the only thing the battery does is stop the ont from beeping. You do not get any other service in the event of a power failure with that battery backup.
0 Likes
frankie627

I have the same issue, no voice serive only TV and internet.  When there is a power outage, I can't watch TV or use my computer anyway, so what other Verizon serive the battery back up is supporting anyway?  Am I missing something here!!!!

0 Likes
mcorbo
Contributor - Level 2

On new installations, the battery is an option that you can choose for an extra fee.  It is no longer requried.  In my installation which is 7 years old, the system would not work without a good battery installed.  When it died they replaced the battery unit.

0 Likes