Paying online
NancyA1

Verizon's online software just made a payment of $370 from my checking account that I did not authorize!  It's Friday night and I cannot get the payment canceled until Monday!  Now my bank account will go negative and I will be charged $35 for overdrawing my account!  I should be able to cancel the payment online, as I can when I make payments from my checking account!  Verizon sucks!  It always did!  I fully intend to go with another service that will buy out my contract!  This is ridiculously overpriced anyway!

0 Likes
Re: Paying online
jonjones1
Legend

@NancyA wrote:

Verizon's online software just made a payment of $370 from my checking account that I did not authorize!  It's Friday night and I cannot get the payment canceled until Monday!  Now my bank account will go negative and I will be charged $35 for overdrawing my account!  I should be able to cancel the payment online, as I can when I make payments from my checking account!  Verizon sucks!  It always did!  I fully intend to go with another service that will buy out my contract!  This is ridiculously overpriced anyway!

Autopay is never advisable. Verizon will not be refunding any money back to you unless you jump through hoops. However you can contact your bank and have them reverse the payment after you prove it’s not actually owed. In example a double hit on your account, a payment made by you in error. I would also after getting the money reversed is to cancel automatic payment immediately. 

Call your bank quickly. 

0 Likes
NancyA1

This was NOT an AUTOPAY payment!
What they need to do is
1)  Have one or, preferably, two, pop-up windows asking if you really want to make the payment and 
2) Have a way to cancel the payment online.
Both of these features are present when I make payments from my checking accounts, which are at two different banks.

The amount they took was the amount I owed, but not the amount I intended to pay.  The payment window defaults to the total one owes.  I MAY have hit the Enter button accidentally.  I do not believe that I did, though.  I believe there's a bug in the software.  I really think it brought up the payment window, defaulting to the total I owed, and then processed it without me hitting any keys at all.

All my bank can do is stop payment for $35 or I can claim it's fraud, for free, but then Verizon would have to agree that there was fraud, which they would not, in this case.  After all, I WAS in the payment window.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The way you worded your first post it sounded like an auto payment when in fact it was a one time payment.

i use the one time payment because normally even in best of cases Verizon has been known to mistakes with automatic payments (double payments) 

however when you use the one time payment there is an amount showing be it for what you believe it should be or any other amount they believe it should be. However it does require you to verify the payment amount prior to your clicking on the submit button.

this is where caution is advisable. The amount you are speaking of is or was a full amount owed. Although you wanted to pay less either the system would not allow a smaller amount, or the section of where to enter a different amount was not accessed or showing.

its too late for me to say never pay with bank debit or checking accounts but use a credit card which can be disputed immediately if need be. I also advocate never ever use autopay since that also can make what happen to you via one time payment a nightmare in the future.

another caution is if you reverse a payment with Verizon they charge you a fee, they also are known to make the customer cash only at one of their stores (I think for 6 months+) 

and it could have been no option to pay less but I remember seeing it somewhere. Could be the wireless side.

0 Likes