Re: No phone or internet until May 31st? lol
dobie_gillis
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would consider switching to fiber optics if it's similarly priced and not too expensive, but FIOS isn't available at my location so I don't even have that option.

0 Likes
dobie_gillis
Enthusiast - Level 3

Interesting.. here's some info about the copper retirement plans Verizon has:

https://www.channelpartnersonline.com/2019/04/01/verizon-to-discontinue-copper-in-heavily-populated-...

https://potsandpansbyccg.com/2019/04/08/verizon-to-retire-copper/

https://brooklyneagle.com/articles/2018/09/11/verizon-hangs-up-on-landline-customers-in-brooklyn/

Would've been nice to have some info about this directly from Verizon! Instead, they just intentionally shut off my service with no warning, and no information about what's going on. Thanks.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

In certain situations you can use a cellular technology for home calling. I noticed a thread on it at the wireless forum in regards to cellular companies offering it.

the cable companies have home phone and cable may be available in your location.

if you have internet you can use a magic jack or voipo service to make calls via your modem (cable) or router(fios) 

many people use their cellular phones since today its unlimited calling and texting so that may assist you.

in NY the Department of Public Service has rules that make verizon repair existing copper lines. They also have a program where if verizon does not meet certain obligations they get hit with hefty fines for each day service is out or not repaired in an expedited manner. I know that doesn’t help you now but its something to ponder.

dobie_gillis
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, I've gotten by with just tethering data from my smartphone. It's just annoying to not have always-on internet, and my tethering data is limited.

So after making a complaint with the public service commission of New York, I received a call from a Verizon representative who said I do not in fact have to make payments on this service while it's down, and she's going to put a hold on my account.

Verizon needs to get these facts straight with customers. That's very different from what another Verizon support representative told me: that I'm still responsible for making payments while my service is down for months. Had I not made the complaint with the Public Service Commission it sounds like I would still be on the hook for these payments. I feel bad for Verizon's other DSL customers affected by this.

0 Likes
dobie_gillis
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon just called me to tell me that my internet won't be fixed by May 31st, and that they don't have a fix date they can give me. Pretty much what I expected.

I'm trying to get Starry Internet installed in my building.  It looks promising.

0 Likes
Re: Payment refund?
Krev23

verizon fios took money they did not credit to my account .I tried to report it but they asked for a bank statement provided that now theyre saying I need something else . Provided that still getting the run around . And now my services are off for the 500 dollars they're saying I didn't pay. Someone please help . My moms machine is connected through the wifi

0 Likes