Robo call: "Vz rec. req. to establish full access..."
RJMacReady
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Folks, I checked the FAQs and did a Support/entire Vz website search, and didn't see this:

Saturday @ 8:57 AM  I got a robo call from Vz stating" Vz has recently received a request to establish full access on My Vz Acct. for this phone #. If you are the customer for this phone #, press 1, if not, press 2".

I don't remember requesting any changes. I can go anywhere, see my bill, etc... before I got this call. Is there anything malicious going on here? Thanks and I apologize if this topic has been covered and I did not find it.    TIA,   Mac

Re: Robo call: "Vz rec. req. to establish full access..."
prisaz
Legend

@RJMacReady wrote:

Hello Folks, I checked the FAQs and did a Support/entire Vz website search, and didn't see this:

@Saturday @ 8:57 AM  I got a robo call from Vz stating" Vz has recently received a request to establish full access on My Vz Acct. for this phone #. If you are the customer for this phone #, press 1, if not, press 2".

I don't remember requesting any changes. I can go anywhere, see my bill, etc... before I got this call. Is there anything malicious going on here? Thanks and I apologize if this topic has been covered and I did not find it.    TIA,   Mac

Could be a phishing scam or someone trying to get you to do something the want to scam you with. Calls like that I would hang up on and not press anything. Call and speak to Verizon directly. Probably Billing.  If you have caller ID I would note what it displayed, and like you did, note exactly what was said and then call Verizon directly.

0 Likes
beek-craft

On a semi related note, I received an email in my inbox this evening that didn't look like any other email I have ever received from Verizon.  It instructed me to click on a link, which I did not do.  Any advice on whether the email is legit, or what action to take if it is not?  I notice that the posting of the Robo call message is also dated as occurring 2/21/11.  ??

I tried to insert a picture of the email in question, but it isn't allowable in this format.  The email came from Verizon<smtp@verizon.net>.  The subject line simply said, "Urgent Update".  In a large red square, the body of the message said, "Dear Member, please update your billing information.  Visit our secure web form below.  A link was available called "Verizon Billing Center".  Under the red square, it said, "Copyright 1999-2011  Verizon, All Right (no "S" as in "Rights") Reserved.  

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Always ignore messages like that and go straight to the source never click on a link in a message like that if you are unsure. Even if it does look legitimate. Always go to the MyVerizon.com site or call Verizon directly if you are not sure. There is a Contact Us link for Verizon at the bottom of each Verizon web page. Here is a link that references some Articles and various posts.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=Phishing+Scam%27s

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@prisaz wrote:

@RJMacReady wrote:

@Saturday @ 8:57 AM  I got a robo call from Vz stating" Vz has recently received a request to establish full access on My Vz Acct. for this phone #. If you are the customer for this phone #, press 1, if not, press 2".

Could be a phishing scam or someone trying to get you to do something the want to scam you with. Calls like that I would hang up on and not press anything. Call and speak to Verizon directly. Probably Billing.  If you have caller ID I would note what it displayed, and like you did, note exactly what was said and then call Verizon directly.

http://www22.verizon.com/pages/securityalerts/

there are some faq's on how to handle various situations and protect yourself.