Re: Set Top Box Rental Fees
Bonus12
Enthusiast - Level 1
Although I drooped a few iq points after reading this I do agree that the option to buy a box through verizon or aftermarket should be available. I've actually considered filing an attorney general complaint.
vzn2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I completely agree with you. This is complete "rip off". Even Comcast (now xfinity) gives first HD Set Top Box for FREE. As you can tell, this set top boxes are cheaply made and pretty sure, does NOT cost verizon more than couple hundred bucks. 

0 Likes
NC-BUD
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree with Bonus 12.  A class action  was filed against AT&T for overcharging people for rental payments for teleophone sets that vastly exceeded the actual cost of the equipment. A settlement in 2002 set aside a $350 million fund to compensate almost 30 million class members, but only 92,000 claims were filed, with payouts ranging between $15 and $80. 

I see the same issue with STB.  

vzn2
Enthusiast - Level 2

@armond_in_nj wrote:

@chabbyd wrote:
Doesn't there become a point in time where the set-top box rental fees paid are more than the actual value (new or used) of the set top box?

I'm quite sympathetic to this idea.  A number of mobile phone companies have taken similar steps when it comes to paying for new wireless devices.  Still there really is no precedent, in the sense that one usually understands the term "rental."  For example, if you live in a rental apartment long enough (and this is fairly common in New York), you don't automatically "own" your dwelling after a certain period of time.

"It would be nice" if fees were lower and one could somehow own STBs.  Hey wait, isn't that something like Tivo?

Hi "armond_in_nj",

I like your example of "renting an apartment" but you are missing a point. In that case, you have an option to buy actual home. Well, one can argue, tivo is the option (For people who need DVR capability, which I don't want), but it requires you to use "cableCard", which has following restrictions:
Some of the advanced features of your FiOS TV service are not available using a CableCARD, such as the following:

• FiOS TV Interactive Media Guide
  • On Demand
  • FiOS TV Widgets
  • Parental Controls

In addition, their cableCard is also $5/month. And you will endup paying $15/month for tivo subscription. 

0 Likes
chabbyd
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thank you Kudo0. I think it is insane. Cable companies need to be regulated. They continually increase rates, fees, misc charges, rental fees... On and on while removing channels on more than a regular basis.

I think it is crazy that my cable/Internet bill is more than my winter gas bill or summer electric bill. And I don't have any extras. No DVR, 1 cable/1 TV, no high speed Internet, no premium channels, I never rent or buy movies or PPV. It just unacceptable. Then you throw in the lousy box that I've paid well over $800 for by now. It makes my blood boil!

Maybe Verizon should stop advertising so much - I must get 10 printed items a week - that might reduce their "cost" a bit. Hell why send all thAt crap to me. I'm already a customer. Better known as SUCKER!
vzn2
Enthusiast - Level 2

@chabbyd wrote:
Thank you Kudo0. I think it is insane. Cable companies need to be regulated. They continually increase rates, fees, misc charges, rental fees... On and on while removing channels on more than a regular basis.

I think it is crazy that my cable/Internet bill is more than my winter gas bill or summer electric bill. And I don't have any extras. No DVR, 1 cable/1 TV, no high speed Internet, no premium channels, I never rent or buy movies or PPV. It just unacceptable. Then you throw in the lousy box that I've paid well over $800 for by now. It makes my blood boil!

Maybe Verizon should stop advertising so much - I must get 10 printed items a week - that might reduce their "cost" a bit. Hell why send all thAt crap to me. I'm already a customer. Better known as SUCKER!

I completely agree that they should be regulated. They advertise their "double play" / "triple play" combos for around $80/month. But, with all these crazy "Cablebox/card fees", "franchise Fee", etc. it easily comes around $110/month (without DVR services and just one TV). FCC should force them to put the total cost they would charge to the customer for their services in all their advertisements. 

0 Likes
chabbyd
Enthusiast - Level 3
Amen!
0 Likes
QFios
Enthusiast - Level 1

for crying out-loud!  don't you get it! ... there is no alternative! ... WE ARE FORCED TO RENT FO RTHE REST OF OUR LIVES!  If you rent an apartment or any other palce to live you still have the option to PURCHASE a home or some other form of dwelling to live in.  There is no other option to but a verizon set-top box!  No option to purchase a comcast STB, etc!

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes