Unethical conduct: Agent renewed FIOS contract for my deceased father
ankerbrand

I have been through a nightmare for months with Verizon dealing with my deceased father’s account. 

After he passed, I called a couple of times to inquire about downgrading service or transferring the name on the account while my sisters and I cleaned out his house. After discussing it with my sisters, I called back to downgrade service. Each time I called I made it very clear that he had passed away, and that the account would be closed in a few months. Apparently, around the 3rd time I called to downgrade the service, his contract was renewed for 2 years! WHY! I repeatedly said that he was deceased and the account would be closed.

I’ve talked to several agents since then to close the account and each time I’m told I need to pay $300 for early termination because “I agreed to the change.” I was never verbally told that the contract was renewed. Instead, it was tucked inside the email I received confirming the change in service. I’m being told because I received that email, and didn’t question it, that I agreed to it. Yes, I got that email but I wasn’t looking for any clauses about a contract renewal! It was downright sneaky and went against the wishes of me, your paying client. 

This was deceptive and unethical of the agent to pull such a stunt. It’s also deceptive and unethical for Verizon to allow it to happen. I will not pay an early termination fee for a contract I was never verbally told about and never would have agreed to. WHY WOULD I RENEW A CONTRACT FOR A DECEASED PERSON! I stated every time I called that the account was going to be closed!

On a different note, each time I called, I got a different answer on what I could or could not do. It was so frustrating! I don’t think your agents know what they’re doing. One told me to take my fathers’ death certificate to a Verizon Wireless store, so I did. I got there and was told that they couldn’t handle any FIOS business. 

I also tried to transfer the account to my name twice. Twice it took nearly an hour on the phone, plus a credit check, and talking to multiple people before it was finally “done.” Then a month later, when I thought it was all done and taken care of, I get an email from Verizon stating that the transfer did not go through. No one could tell me why. 

Now I’m in limbo and dread calling again and spending another hour on the phone just to be told I have to pay the $300 termination fee. I’ve been a Verizon customer for many years, but I’m about to take my business elsewhere.  

0 Likes
Re: Unethical conduct: Agent renewed FIOS contract for my deceased father
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Hi ankerbrand

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent.  Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support.  You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page.  Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes