Verizon doesn't honor offer
mitch0531
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let me start by saying that every time I take advantage of a Verizon or Verizon Wireless special offer, I always end up overcharged and need to spend several calls with billing reps to clear it up.  Here is an offer I was presented with in an online upgrade and Verizon is refusing to honor. The attached order shows a great deal.  It offered me gigabit internet for an additional $10 plus and extra $5 for the router.  Notice the bundle price of $119  There would also be a $50 installation charge for 3 months ($150 total).  This offer was an upgrade to my current service and not a new customer order.  The attachment even shows the order number. The total should have been $229 for the first 3 months then $179 for months 4-15 plus taxes and fees.  You can see it right there on screen.  This was in my cart and I accepted it but first captured screen shots because of past history.  Immediately after submitting this offer, I got an email confirmation with the same order number but the bundle price was now 154 instead of 119 and the evidence of what I agreed to was nowhere to be found, except that I took a screen shot because of past experience.  One day before installation, verizon contacted me and asked me to reschedule because they were not going to be able to keep their appointment.  I rescheduled and then got another email for the same order number but now the bundle price was changed to $184. My installation finally took place and I got all my services and then received a bill for $318 based on the $184 bundle price instead of the $119 which everyone can clearly see in my attachement. I called billing and the person, who was very nice and tried to help, determined that the $184 bundle price was an error but that she could only bring it down to the $154 bundle price.  I forwarded this attachment showing the the order I agreed to was $119 for the bundle.  She said sorry there is nothing she can do and it was probably an error. She claimed that it looked like an offer for a new customer.  I informed her that it would be impossible because if you are an existing customer and try to sign up for a promotion for new customers, as soon as it asks you for your address, it brings you instead to the upgrade screen.  Anyway, this is what I was presented and the proof is right here.  I am sorry for this long post but I am hoping the embarassment of not making good on an offer is bad publicity and hopefully Verizon will do the right thing.image

0 Likes
Re: Verizon doesn't honor offer
jonjones1
Legend

This is quite common with Verizon. Give one price get another. However you did not say what other services you are referring to.

did you have TV and phone before? What speed internet did you have, if you had internet? 

Normally an installation charge is $99 not $150 so that is one issue. Secondly what price did you pay previously? You said Verizon offered you a gigabyte upgrade for $10 so what price did you pay previously?

the pricing you are stating would make it seem you are getting a triple play.

0 Likes
mitch0531
Enthusiast - Level 3

This was for triple play. I previously had 75Mb internet on my triple play and upgraded to 1gb. Everything else including equipment remained unchanged. The upgrade section showed my current plan at $164.99 including equipment/DVR before taxes and fees to the left. On the right side of the screen was 1Gb internet at +10. I selected it and the right side of the screen now showed total $179.99 including equipment and before tax. This was a $15 increase ($10 for the 1Gb and an additional $5 for the router). This is shown in detail in my attachment. The upgrade required a new ONT and the installation charge for this is $150 spread over 3 payments, so $50 per month for the first 3 months. So my attachment shows $229.99 before tax for  the first 3 months and then $179.99 before tax for months 4-15 which takes me through the end of my current 2 year agreement. The triple play portion of this agreement was supposed to be $119.99 as shown in the attachment. But Verizon flipped the triple play amount to $154.99 in the email confirmation right after I placed the order. I then got another email confirmation for the same order 2 weeks later weeks later after they asked me to reschedule my installation and now the triple play portion was up to $184.99.  When I called Verizon they said the increase of the triple play to $184.99 was an error and they put in a request to have it changed back to $154.99 but this is still significantly higher than the $119.99 for the triple play which is what I agreed to and shown on my attachment. The rep said she could not find any promotion that would have given it to me at the $119.99 triple play price. But it's right there in the order that I attached. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Sorry your photos are not showing so I am replying on what you wrote.

first to have Internet above 100/100 requires the service to switch to ethernet. Which is not an issue. However since you have evidently a ONT that cannot handle gigabyte Verizon decided to change out your ONT which should not cost you anything.

why would you pay for something they have to do to provide service?

so that $150 is bogus and a money grab.

if Verizon Fios is upping you to gigabyte by your order yes it is possible that you need a new router. Which router are you using now? An Actiontec or Quantum Gateway Router?

normally the rental for a Fios modem is $10 a month. I don’t see what the $5 is for.

additionally if Fios was offering you an upgrade for $10 more this is surprising. Since you are not a new customer the pricing is always much higher.

right now stand alone gig for new customers is $70 and a double play is $74.99 and it’s $80 for a triple play. 

You do realize that having tv adds in loads of taxes and surcharges and sports fees etc.

and with phone there are the same. Internet only is the best choice since you can get a streaming tv service for $35 no taxes or fees, and get a magicjack if you need phone at all for a one time charge of $40 with a year of service included. If you port a number into them there is a believe a $20 fee but still a savings from Verizon .

so you get stand alone gigabyte internet for $80 from Fios if you get streaming tv like DirectTVNOW add $35 so $115 a month complete. The magic jack is just a one time charge if you want phone. So you tell me just how much your saving. Lots.

additionally you can point out that the install should be absolutely free since a new install is $99 and can be waived online. Not $150 over three payments.

in your scenarios you are not saving anything. In fact you are paying way too much.

mitch0531
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the reply and I agree with everything you said.  I guess the images I uploaded are not visible to anyone but me which is a shame because they spell it out simply in black and white. I am ultimately thinking of going internet only and then streaming, mainly because I hate paying for cable boxes.  Not sure if a change like that would trigger an early termination fee.  I wouldn't think so as long as I get the internet service from Verizon. But anyway, the $150 installation charge is bogus but I agreed to it because bottom line, the offer was a move from 75Mb to 1Gb for an additional $15/month so I was willing to agree to the $150 installation.  The router is $10/month but I currently had a $10 discount basically making it a free router.  They told me the $10 discount would get replaced with a $5 discount so thats where the $5 comes in.  And I already have the Quantum Gateway Router so I am ultimately paying $5 more per month for the same router. But again I was willing because the bottom line of $15/month more for 1Gb was a great deal.  Verizon web site and billing system cannot keep up with the creativity of Verizons marketing department so whether Wireless or residential, they screw up every bill after every change of service I make due to a promotion. 

I attached a text representation of my offer below, may be tough to read.  The main dispute is the Triple Play portion shown at 119.99 including gigabit internet, Extreme TV, HBO, Showtime, etc.  That number jumped to $154.99, then $184.99, but verizon agreed to "correct" it back down to $154.99. I would never have agreed to that price plus a $150 installation charge.  I wouldn't even call it bait and switch.  I was flat out cheated.  But I will not let Verizon get away with it. 

Confirmation

The credit has been successfully applied to your account.

• Confirmation number : {edited for privacy}

Your order number is {edited for privacy}

Monthly bill estimate + taxes and fees

• $229.99
    Month 1
  • $229.99
    Months 2-3
  • $179.99
    Months 4-15
  • $229.99
    Months 16-24
  • Verizon Triple Play

$119.99

• Gigabit Connection

Extreme TV HD

Showtime (bundle package)

HBO (bundle package)

Digital Voice Unlimited Plan

No change to recent 2-year term

• TV Services
  •  
  • Multi-Room DVR Service

$15.00

6 HD Set-Top Boxes

$40.00

• Internet Services
  •  
  • Quantum™ Gateway Rental

$5.00

• Phone Services
  •  
  • Fios Digital Voice Mail

Included

Listed and Published

Included

Existing Phone Number:

Included

• One-time Charges
  •  
  • Fios Internet Speed Upgrade (installment 1 of 3)

$50.00

• Removed services
  • Internet Services
  •  
  • Quantum™ Gateway - Included

Fee Waived

• Prices include special offers
  •  
    • $20 Verizon Loyalty Discount - $10 Fios and $10 Wireless
    • Verizon Connections $10 Discount
    • $25 VZW Agreement Incentive Offer for 24 Months
    • $25 VZW Agreement Incentive Offer for 24 Months
    • TV Equipment Package Discount
    • $5 Fios Quantum Gateway Router Discount
0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Take your post and edit out your phone number.

loads of kooks out there.

if you look at your totals they don’t include the taxes and fees and surcharges.

however I would get just internet for a cheaper price. If you have a contract it may be cheaper to pay the early termination fee if less than the install fees, and other charges.

mitch0531
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for catching the phone number. I am definitely considering this going forward especially if Verizon doesn't honor the agreement. I also have HBO and Showtime so would need to add the cost of those. And it gives my family members use of HBO go and Showtime anytime.  They can also stream other channels because I have them through FiOS. So I could potentially lose those. My having FiOS makes it so that my kids can stream cheaper, lol. I will probably do a trial for a few of the streaming services. Another thing holding me back is I can get most of the sports I want but there is a delay and I would get phone alerts on games before I saw them occur on screen. I know people that have this. They get an alert that a team just won but they still see 30 seconds on the clock. So there are some drawbacks.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

This issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent.

0 Likes