Warning Verizon is running a bait-and-switch SCAM, big time!!!
TechType1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm posting this everywhere that I can, starting here.  Verizon is calling people up with a compelling Triple Play Upgrade Promotion, however, when you get the service, the price and terms are not at all what they promoted.   This is so slimy I can hardly believe it-- even for Verizon-- and that's saying a lot!  Luckily I caught the scam when scheduling the installation as they quoted the price for $20/month GREATER than what I was told.  Of course, I was checking the details because Verizon has not been a trustworthy company in my dealings with them.  I canceled my service for this promotion.

This seems to be happening all over, judging by a quick search of the internet, with people who've been taken with this scam, big time.  Here's my experience. Tara, a new Verizon rep, calls me up and tells me I can add cable TV to my existing FIOS and phone service for the same price.  I was very, very careful to go through all of the details, again because you can't trust Verizon as far as you can throw them.  Yup, after 3 checks, she quotes me $72.99/mo for Internet + phone + TV +DVR  (never increases),   2 set-top boxes:  * Multi-room DVR free for 1 year ($20/mo thereafter) and    * Basic set-top box HD receiver -- free for life; no installation fee.  I confirm with her supervisor John, and he reviews the agreement with me.  Yup, same deal.  I ask him about hidden fees, and he tells me this is it, no surprises.  I ask him about cancellation, and he tells me the policy.  I was on the phone for over an hour to make sure Verzion isn't trying to scam me.  (well they were scamming me, but they were being entirely dishonest,as the service cost in the system what not the quoted price)

Scheduling the installation, first sent me on an infuriating run-around, where they said I should do a self-install.  After an excruciatingly long time on hold during an evening I could have been playing with my son, I was routed to the person who was supposed to hook me up with the self install.  Then some guy, Ray I think, gets on and says, "Nope this is repair, and no you can't do a self install."  I finally scheduled the install, then I asked about the cost, since they appeared inept.  I learn that I'm going to be charged $90/mo, which nothing like what I was offered.  I then spoke with sales rep Jay and his boss, because this is an illegal bait-and-switch.  They tell me that they have no idea who placed the order, but it is sitting there with my info (with two typos from Tara).  Since this all comes from Verizon, I cancel this order, and I am seriously wondering if this is the type of company that I want to do business with.

I also read in other Jan 2010 posts that they charge you the installation fee with the "promotion", and they try to hide it over 3 months.

0 Likes
Re: Warning Verizon is running a bait-and-switch SCAM, big time!!!
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
Re: Warning Verizon is running a bait-and-switch SCAM, big time!!!
invntrr1

Thanks for the info because the switch was done to me.  I have one month to cancel .. I have made arrangements with my old cable provider to reinstall  (Comcast)

Here is a portion of the email from Verizon;

Your initial order shows that you did not request the Gift Card offer, but that you requested the free DVR for 12 months. This order confirmation was sent to you on September 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM. No $300.00 gift card will be sent to you.

I was advised to cancel, file a complaint with local and Federal agencies ... Then file a claim in small claims court to recover the penalties I had to pay Comcast when I cancelled and reinstalled.

I'm 70 years old and my wife and I are on a fixed income ... We only went with Verizon because of the attractive offer they sent us in our mail

0 Likes