What's the deal with 2-year contracts?
NikoTina

I am not sure what's the deal with 2 year contracts.  I used to have the triple package that included Internet, TV, and Phone services.  After multiple times that we got overcharged, we switched to another company for phone services.  Verizon converted the other two services to a la carte and now they want me to agree to another 2 year contract.  Instead of trying to lock the customers they should try to keep them happy.  I did not commit to anything and most likely I will move to Comcast.  Does anybody else had the same experience?  What are they shooting themselves in the foot?

0 Likes
Re: What's the deal with 2-year contracts?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Yeah, and those lease agreements for apartments too... such a bummer.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hmmm ... would seem to be pretty obvious to me.   Contract -- fixed price for the length of the contract and usually no installation fees on initial install in exchange for an ETF.   Month to month -- price changes take effect immediately in exchange for no long term commitment.

They have and advertise both types of service offerings.   So why not just take the latter?

I think you'll find the exact same scenario exists with other service providers.

cupidrn43

I am considering going back to Bright House.  When I initially agreed to switch, I informed the salesman that the one deal breaker is that I have to have as good internet if not better than what already had.  I will admit the Fios TV is awesome but I'm not as big of a TV watcher.  I have a cell phone so not even sure I need the landline.  However, I'm having nothing but problems with the internet settings with my Mac and iphone.  When I'm gone from the house the Iphone now will not let me send messages from the Verizon outgoing server.  This is a pain.  I am a graduate student and internet is a MUST!  Bright House is offering to pay the early termination fees and I'm seriously considering.  I have called tech support multiple times and they continue saying my settings are right.  I am even getting attitudes about Verizon is fine...the problem is the fact that I have a MAC.  Customer service is not what I'm accustomed to.  PLUS I got my bill and it was $170 for this nonsense.  Why am I still with Verizon?  

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do me two favors ... first, search the Email forum for a posting by me which outlines the exact settings for a iPod touch (same thing for an iPhone -- which is what I actually have) and post the settings you presently have on your mail settings on the phone (redact any person info like email address) and let's have a look see.   As for a Mac, welcome to my world.  That "PC centric" attitude is not unique to Verizon -- they can't help it, they just don't understand the environment -- don't get me wrong, they by all means should, but it's not uncommon.  If you have a specific issue, open a thread and let someone here help you.

Actually ... better still ... here is the exact walk thru for proper iPhone configuration:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Itouch-is-connected-but-can-t-get-email-to-work-from-...

If those aren't correct for your phone, remove the "Yahoo" portion from the path and see how that works.  If it still doesn't work, post back and we'll take a closer look.