Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

Why does Verizon want me to pay *more* to renew my 2-year FIOS contract than to let it expire?

willdude
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Why does Verizon want me to pay *more* to renew my 2-year FIOS contract than to let it expire?

Message 1 of 4
(2,001 Views)

Currently I'm paying $104.99/month for Extreme HD and 50/50 internet.  When my contract expires in August, that will supposedly go up to $119.99/month:

vz1.png

When I go to the upgrade/renewal page, I'm offered a start a new 2-year contract for the very same services for $124.99/month:

vz2.png

So why on earth would I do this?  Why would I sign a contract to pay $5 more per month for 2 years on the chance that maybe the off-contract price will go up at some point?

It's also worth noting that if I try to sign up for service as a new customer, I'm offered the Extreme HD and 50/50 Double Play for my current $104.99/month for a 2 year contract.  I know from experience that trying to get new-customer offers as an existing customer is a losing battle (despite the fact that I already have the lines and equipment and would require zero labor from Verizon), but it still seems like a crummy way to treat existing customers.

3 REPLIES 3
tns2
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Why does Verizon want me to pay *more* to renew my 2-year FIOS contract than to let it expire?

Message 2 of 4
(1,927 Views)

Not unusual IF they had raised prices during you current 2 years.  The current price also might include a discount that will no longer be available

And note at the end of your current contract prices will probably go up more unless you accept a new 2 year contract.

Remember you are talking to peers and not Verizon.

willdude
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Why does Verizon want me to pay *more* to renew my 2-year FIOS contract than to let it expire?

Message 3 of 4
(1,921 Views)

Well, the new-customer 2-year price of $104.99 hasn't changed since I began this contract 2 years ago.  And look at the screenshots -- I'm currently paying $104.99/month, with $15 in discounts which expire at the end of my contract, which means when my contract ends it'll go up to $119.99/month.  So to entice me into signing a new contract, they're offering to lock in a price of $124.99/month for 2 years, $5 MORE than I'd pay if I just let the contract end.  How does this make sense?

tns2
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 4 of 4
(1,889 Views)

When the contract expires the current price DOES not normally continue.  I would expect it to go up more per month than the new two year contract they are offering.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title