Verizon Support of Netgear ORBI for FiOS
Ubtchanova1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently purchased the Netgear ORBI RBK50 from Verizon, to use in conjunction with my FiOS Quantum Gateway (in AP mode). I wanted to take advantage of Netgear's "Circle with Disney" parental control (Android) app. I installed the app, but the app indicated that i need to upgrade the ORBI firmware before I could use it (my ORBI f/w version is V2.0.1.4_1.0.0.6). Netgear forum users say there is a firmware upgrade available for manual download on their site, but to NOT use it, because Verizon likes to tweak all such updates, and push them out. (I also logged into my ORBI router and under the "Advanced" tab clicked on Firmware Update... Status came back as "Service Unreachable." Thanks, Verizon.) Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation, and how did you resolve it? I don't have a lot of faith in Verizon posting timely updates!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Support of Netgear ORBI for FiOS
jonjones1
Legend

I don’t see it as a Verizon branded device.

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk50.aspx

Any such updates if necessary will come from Netgear. 

This system can be setup on any service and it is not exclusive to Fios or to Verizon.

it can be purchased many places. Verizon Fios only updates their own branded devices be it routers or Verizon extenders. They are not tinkering with other manufacturers devices.

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wasn't even aware that Verizon offered the NETGEAR Orbi WiFi System, but sure enough, they do here. It does say right on the first page:

NOTE: Verizon-specific firmware and periodic updates will automatically be loaded onto your Netgear device at a future date. The firmware is not compatible with Orbi satellites purchased from another seller. If you move to another provider, we will provide you with a link to remove the firmware.

I really wonder what is special about the Verizon firmware versus the standard out-of-the-box Netgear firmware? Set in a mode to find and work with the Quantum Gateway I suspect. They probably set the router to a bridge mode, too, since the Quantum still acts as the router. Do you plug the ORBI router into an Ethernet port or is the whole setup kept as wireless? (I'm hoping it's using an Ethernet port since I doubt that the G1100's AC1750 wireless capability could keep up with/drive the ORBI's AC3000 wireless.)

I suspect if that was known, you could download and run the stock firmware from Netgear, but you'd have to configure it the way Verizon has it set up to work with the Quantum Gateway. Unfortunately, there's very little info at the Verizon website. They don't even have the quick start guide there (probably because it's copyrighted by Netgear).

jonjones1
Legend

Thanks for the link. I looked for it yesterday and all I found was Netgear sites.

you would be right that Verizon may have adjusted the settings to have a quick setup to their router. However the basic orbi is just plug and play. You should be able to download the user manual from the site I gave previously.

0 Likes
Ubtchanova1
Enthusiast - Level 1

"Do you plug the ORBI router into an Ethernet port or is the whole setup kept as wireless? (I'm hoping it's using an Ethernet port since I doubt that the G1100's AC1750 wireless capability could keep up with/drive the ORBI's AC3000 wireless.)"

I have the FiOS ethernet and cable plugged into the back of the Quantum G1100 with an ethernet cable between the G1100 and the Orbi RBR50... Orbi is providing me with WiFi throughout house.

0 Likes
smarty1973

Hi there - I was wondering if you are able to watch your DVR/TV over the Orbi network.  I have a Linksys Router set up as a bridge and it doesn't pass through the stream and I was sure for a long time that it was just because Verizon wanted me to purchase their network extender.  When I saw this Orbi solution, I realized that's exactly what they are doing.  So, I'm assuming their firmware has a setting for the bridge that is specific to their router to allow the stream to pass through. 

0 Likes
jonfioscustomer

Wanted to add my two cents into this discussion. I purchased the orbi system directly from verizon, hoping that it would make installation easier. It wasn't bad, but I wanted to add some additional coverage in the basement near my large tv. I purchased a sattelite from amazon, and that's when the nightmare bagan! It was unable to sync, in spite of hours of attempts. I then replaced it with another one from amazon, and the same thing happened. That's when I read the fine print on the verizon website, that they alter the firmware in a specific way, and they are incompatible with anything purchased elsewhere. So beware! i would recommend NOT purchasing directly from FIOS.

0 Likes
raptorlxxviii

I'm also trying to decide whether to buy from Verizon or elsewhere. I asked Verizon customer service what the differences were between the Netgear and Verizon firmware, but she obviously couldn't answer and connected me to tech support. The tech support person was totally unaware of the fact that Verizon even sold Orbi systems and after being convinced otherwise, she claimed that any questions about firmware would have to be answered by Netgear (i.e. the manufacturer).

Maybe I just got the wrong tech support person.

Edit: For what it's worth, Verizon's installation instructions for Orbi look exactly the same as what would be required had you bought it from a 3rd party (e.g. Amazon). That is: turn off G1100 radios, connect Orbi, and put Orbi into AP mode. So it's probably not the case that Verizon's firmware somehow makes the setup easier. Also, since Verizon says to put the Orbi in AP mode, it's also not the case that Verizon needs special firmware in order to handle QOS or other special settings specific to Verizon's VOD service (that would be totally handled by the G1100 which is still functioning as a gateway).

0 Likes
Vaders1

Has anyone successfully removed the FiOS tweaked firmware?  I'm trying to add satellites not from Verizon and would like to patch for security reasons.

I see the wording about a link to remove the firmware has been removed but there must be a way.  

Thx

0 Likes
Wodbbob

I am trying to figure out how to do this. Were you successful?

0 Likes