Verizon Youtube Video Extremely Slow - Only Acknowledged - Nothing Is Being Done
NYCFiosBoy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello there fellow Verizon subscribers,

I don't know about you but for the past 2 months, starting back in February, Youtube and many other video streaming services has been extremely slow. I mean really slow. Even at lower resolutions (such as 240p) the video doesn't buffer nor does anything happen if you pause and wait for 30 minutes to an hour. I have 35/15 mbps fios internet. If you are experiencing this problem, please voice your concern by adding a plus to this idea so that it becomes acknowledged and hopefully in the near future, fixed.

I'm not the only one with this problem. There are forums on reddit, dslreports, and even on verizon's community forum at which there has been so much disdain with Verizon's lack of support for this problem. Check this out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1axwab/you_tube_becoming_a_big_pos_load_times_are/c91qw0l

This link provides me with a method to block certain ip addresses that may be throttling my streaming - " By rejecting these IP address ranges you will force the video to be served to you directly. This harnesses the full download speed of your internet connection. Other people can dive into the complexity much better than I ever could, but that’s the overall theme."

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Is-it-me-or-youtube-being-slow-at-times/td-p/528287/page/...

This method furthermore shows me how to block those ip addresses on the actiontec fios router directly.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Is-it-me-or-youtube-being-slow-at-times/td-p/528287/page/...

This on the same forum of verizon that I believe is being blatantly ignored, shows possible proof that Verizon is actually throttling video streaming on youtube. If you try the glastnost test it will show a negative that verizon is not throttling our speeds, which I find it hard to believe.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Update-on-Video-Streaming-Issues-Verizon-Officially-Ackno...

Other testimonies show that subscriber's 3g/4g networks are actually streaming faster than the coax/wired network.

Don't get me wrong, Verizon has acknowledged this problem going back all the way from February of 2013 and there is no time frame of when this is going to be fixed. I can only pray for a new and better service to come around *ahem(Google Fiber). Verizon please listen to your customers about this crucial problem with streaming issues and fix it before we all run to the bigger and better internet service provider (Google Fiber) that doesn't have us be submitted to such poor/mediocre service. And no I will not upgrade my existing service for 10 dollars more a month to fix a problem that shouldn't exist.

0 Likes
YouTube USELESS w/FIOS
KristopherSteel

Whats the issue FIOS?  It only happens on FIOS and nowhere else.  Not at work, not on my AT&T phone, friends house with Comcast, nowhere else but on FIOS. Myself and several other friends that have FIOS on any machine have this issue.  We have to use a proxy to get around the issue.

Are you throttling us?  75/45 plan here and YouTube doesn't load for crap at the lowest setting.  Please give us some answers.  I know I'm not the only one.  There are threads all over about this!

0 Likes
Re: Is it me or youtube being slow at times?
jambulo
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I decided to do a quick online chat with Verizons Tech Support.  The good news is, they admitted to the issue being on their end.  The bad news, he could not give me any dates to when the issue will be fixed.  Basically, he said Verizon is working on upgrading their pipe to Googles servers.  The Tech Support person also admitted to having issues with YouTube using his own personal Verizon internet at home.  Here is a snippet of our support session...

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
maortega15
Enthusiast - Level 2

I used to have the FiOS 35/35 plan. Now, I have the Quantum 50/25 plan. The reason I changed plans is because of the streaming issue. I thought that if I get a faster plan. everything would be ok. It seems that its on Verizon's end rather than the plan itself. If streaming wasn't that bad, the 35/35 plan I previously had would probably be sufficient enough for my needs. Hopefully Verizon gets this issue resolved.

0 Likes
rock_doctor

Can i ask a question???  I read the whole 14 pages but it seems everybody is trying to use the Verizon supplied router.  Has anybody tried removing their Verizon supplied router and repalced it with one of their own?  If you are connected to your ONT via Ethernet...release your DHCP lease on your Verizon router and unplug it super quick before it establishes a new IP.  Hook up your non-Verizon router and then see if you still stall on ytube.  I'm just throwing it out there.  I have FIOS for internet only so i am connected to my ONT via Ethernet.  Just make sure to release the IP lease from your router before trying to hook up the Verizon one again.    Just interested to see what impact it will have.  Thanks

0 Likes
unbound1
Enthusiast - Level 1

jambulo above looks like he nailed the issue.  Verizon is throttling...whether intentionally or unintentionally remains to be determined.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@unbound wrote:

jambulo above looks like he nailed the issue.  Verizon is throttling...whether intentionally or unintentionally remains to be determined.

Totally untrue.

Many people have no trouble with Verizon and youtube.  But some areas seem to sometimes get routed through servers (often not part of Verizon's network) that run slow.   All sorts of suggestions in this thread and others on how to get a different route to YouTube servers that give decent performance.

rock_doctor

With my Rev E i had nearly no ytube access.  Would play then buffer or not play at all.  Connected an old trendnet router via Ethernet to the ONT and then little to no buffering from ytube even at 1080p.  Bought a new 424Wr-Rev I connected it and then went back to nearly no ytube.  Went though the settings in the router and turned off MMS - QoS.  Now back to full speed, no buffering even at 1080p with 15/5.  Give it a try.  The MMS-QoS settings are really burried in the menus so you will have to look for it.   See if it makes any difference.  It worked for me.  You milage may vary...    Good luck. 

0 Likes
Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

VZ needs to step up and resolve the Youtube cache servers between them and Google. It's completely unacceptable to be paying $100 (internet + tv) only having to realize that Youtube videos are loading slower than a standard 1mbps connection.

0 Likes
Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

How do you disable MMS?

0 Likes