Auto Login Option, Perhaps?
MychylAHV
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm noticing that the forums don't (at least, not that I've been able to find) have an option to automatically log in whenever I visit the site.

I'm a huge believer in auto-login, especially as I tend to (as I've done today) navigate away from one page (such as the forums) to take care of something, and like being able to navigate back and have the forums still live. (And while I do know there's a possibility to prevent myself timing out, using auto-login also helps when I access from multiple places throughout the day... my desktop, my laptop, my computer at work...)

Is there any possibility adding such an option?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Auto Login Option, Perhaps?
Justin46
Legend

Unfortunately I am not aware of any option to do that. And I agree, it would be very nice. Many other forums do that, in fact of the four forums that I frequent most often, this is the only one that does not.

I access this site from Firefox most of the time, because the editor does not work well in IE7, but I do use both IE and Firefox at times. One thing I did do is set the timer in the forum to 2 minutes, that way I usually don't get logged out (except when I stay for a very long time viewing a specific post in a thread). And since I use tabs in both Firefox and IE I can jump to other sites to do whatever I want and pretty much don't have to log in again until I shut the PC down at night. But if you are switching between PCs then yeah, the timer is not much of a help, except for the time you are on one PC.

If other people want the auto-login option here, I hope they will add their "me too" to this thread, maybe if we get enough support Verizon will add auto-login.

Keller, TX 76248

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Here's my ME TOO!  And while we are on the subject of log ins, how about combining your MyVerizon with the forum log in; once you are logged in to My Verizon, you have access to the forums as well, with a screen name (I like that better than my log in name!)  At this date it might be difficult with so many users already in the forum, but perhaps it can be done....
i_like_turtles
Contributor - Level 1
i also agree with the auto logon, its like a 10 minute idle period and boom its gone !!
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@i_like_turtles wrote:
i also agree with the auto logon, its like a 10 minute idle period and boom its gone !!

But if you set the timer as a I suggested in my previous post in this thread most of the "boom its gone" will be gone Smiley Very Happy The only time I now sometimes get logged out automatically with the timer set to 2 minutes is when I view a thread and then just leave it sitting there instead of going back to the list. Try it, it is not the same as auto login by any means but it does mostly keep you from getting logged out due to inactivity.

Keller, TX 76248

Message Edited by Justin on 07-29-2009 03:11 PM
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Justin wrote:

But if you set the timer as a I suggested in my previous post in this thread most of the "boom its gone" will be gone Smiley Very Happy
Yes--very true Justin. I wasn't aware of this option, and set it like you suggested.  It has decreased my logins, but increased my time on the forums...although I'm not always browsing, I just keep the tab open and check back now and then.
Message Edited by SuzyQ on 07-29-2009 02:00 PM
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

SuzyQ,

Yeah, when I am home all day I usually log on after breakfast and don't log off until time to go to bed, check to see if there are new posts periodically, and answer the ones I can. So my logged on time may very well show lots of minutes when I really wasn't actively doing any posting, but I don't think anybody cares, at least I know I don't. And it does save the aggrivation of having to constantly re-login.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes