Forum Subcategories
streetdocrn1961
Contributor - Level 3

Hi,

First, I love the new interface for the forums.  I think it helps users find and share ideas for different products.  I do have one question.

I am a Blackberry Tour owner and have had Blackberrys for a few years.  I spend a lot of time in the Blackberry forum.  I was wondering if it would be more helpful to users looking for answers to make sub categories for products such as Storm, Tour, Curve, etc.  Do you think that would make it easier or would it be too confusing for users?  Just wondering how we could help folks find the answers they want faster.

Doc

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Forum Subcategories
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

We had actually discussed separating out the devices by manufacturer at one point.  But everything was put on hold pending the forum software upgrade that finally got pushed over a couple of weeks ago.

I can bring this up again at the mod and admin meeting, but can't make any promises.  I know we won't be making subcategories for each and every model from a specific manufacturer, though.  Most manufacturers have a support portal in place already for phone specific issues.

View solution in original post

nmchileman
Master - Level 3

This has been asked a couple of times before and I still have the same opinion that having a subcategory for each device is unnecessary. It would create board clutter and would waste time by clicking back and forth between different subcategories.  Most of the issues people post aren't always device specific anyway.

I think tags are the best way to sort out specific models and issues. People would find their answers a lot faster if they actually did a search before they posted. How many times have you answered "do I really need a data plan?" or "what's the difference between $29.99 and $44.99?" or "what does the data plan cover?" These questions are asked everyday and often multiple times a day, if people did a simple search BEFORE posting their question, they wouldn't need to make a post at all.

On the flip side, these are what I call freebies because it's an extremely easy question to answer and doesn't take much time to type up a response. Or in some cases, it doesn't take any time at all because I've already created a scripted response for it.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

We had actually discussed separating out the devices by manufacturer at one point.  But everything was put on hold pending the forum software upgrade that finally got pushed over a couple of weeks ago.

I can bring this up again at the mod and admin meeting, but can't make any promises.  I know we won't be making subcategories for each and every model from a specific manufacturer, though.  Most manufacturers have a support portal in place already for phone specific issues.

streetdocrn1961
Contributor - Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  I can see what Nmchileman is saying.  In thinking about it, it might create clutter and make things more confusing.  I have already started saving scripted files for general help for various questions asked in the forums that folks tend to ask repeatedly.  I look forward to helping make the forums even more user friendly and any way I can help, please call on me. 

Sincerely,

Michael French, BSN, RN (Doc)

Petal, MS

0 Likes