Switch Account

How to sign in to the forum using Firefox w/ NoScript

How to sign in to the forum using Firefox w/ NoScript

Highlighted
Copper Contributor david-woodward
Copper Contributor
Message 1 of 4
(7,873 Views)

Apparently this site uses "suspicious cross-site POST requests" according to NoScript in Firefox.

Until this changes, you'll need to tweak the NoScript settings a little in order to be able to sign into your community.vzw.com account with NoScript XSS sanitizing enabled.  (I'll assume you've already allowed scripts from vzw.com and/or lithium.com - I'm pretty sure you'll need those enabled in order to use the forums at all)

1) Open your NoScript options in Firefox:

Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions (tab) -> NoScript -> Options

2) In the NoScript options click the "Advanced" tab.

3) In the advanced tab click the "XSS" sub-tab.

4) In the "Anti-XSS Protection Exceptions" text box on the "XSS" tab add the following line:

^https://signin\.verizon\.com/sso/authsso/forumLogin\.jsp.*$

5) Click OK and then close the Add-ons window.

6) Close your tab/window for community.vzw.com and try again.

7) If this doesn't work you may also need to delete any cookies you have from vzw.com and/or close Firefox all together and try again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details on the problem, how I identified it, and how I came across this solution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the past two days I've been trying to get my community.vzw.com account setup and running and no matter what I tried, I would always end up on a screen that said my user name and password was invalid.  To add to the confusion I was able to reset my password on the account using the "Forgot username/password" link and it STILL wouldn't work.

Then I noticed that for a split second right after I press the enter key to login there is a small notification bar at the top of the browser window.  It goes away too fast to read, but I was able to notice the "NoScript" icon on the bar before it disappeared.  So, I enabled scripts globally in NoScript and STILL had the same problem.  Disabling/Removing NoScript all together fixed the problem and I was able to login.  Of course that's not an acceptable solution, but at least I knew for sure that the problem was being caused by NoScript now.

Recalling past situations with sites not playing well with NoScript I remembered that there were NoScript messages logged in the Firefox error console (Tools -> Error console) when some actions are blocked.  So, I enabled NoScript again, tried to login, opened the error console and sure enough, there's a message saying:

[NoScript XSS] Sanitized suspicious upload

to [https://signin.verizon.com/sso/authsso/forumLogin.jsp<some data here>]

from [http://www22.verizon.com/content/sso/signin.aspx?<some more data here>]:

transformed into a download-only GET request.

So, I took the URL from the "to ..." section of the message and entered it into the equivalent regular expression into the exceptions and tada!  It worked!  I can now sign into the community forums and still have the protection of NoScript to keep me safe from other sites. Smiley Happy

Enjoy!

3 REPLIES 3
Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V
Message 2 of 4
(7,788 Views)

Wow!  What a nice description of the issue you are having and resolution steps!  I have also passed this along to our IT folks to have a look.

Thank you for being so thorough I am sure there are others that may run into this!

Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 3 of 4
(7,343 Views)

Thanks for the expert advice.  Adding the line to the Anti-XSS exception worked for me.  I still can't use my forum name and password to log in but at least I can use my verizon.com one without first going through the main page.

Copper Contributor warrenhottie
Copper Contributor
Message 4 of 4
(4,557 Views)

Is this the same for Aurora in that all I have found just script in the Sign in box for the tablet giveaway-If there is some way for loading a screenshot as an attachment I can show you the problem I'm encountering-I'm uploading again Javascript as it says it is outdated though the Java download says it is already there. So where do I send a screenshot to show the problem I'm encountering-I typed in script in the box and this is the one thread it took me to.aurorascript.png

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.