Multi-line Biography?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Forgive me if this is posted somewhere else, but I could not find it when I searched.

Is there a way to have line breaks in the Biography section of the site? I tried just typing it the way I would like it formatted, but it places everything on one line. I also tried adding HTML line breaks, but it gives me an error saying I cannot have html in that field. (Which I think is definitely a good idea, despite being limited by it.)

If it can't be done, then it can't be done and I won't worry about it. I just want to make sure I haven't missed something.

Any help is much appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Multi-line Biography?
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

I've been digging around in the user permissions and it looks like that permission is granted at the Copper Contributor level.  However, the setting is for posts and signatures only -- not for the member profile, which would include the About Me section.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do not know for sure, but I took what you wrote and put it into my Biography.

This a sample screen shot of My Settings..

http://i31.tinypic.com/30lj8go.jpg

And this a sample screen shot of my profile.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2qut8v8.jpg

-

PS. After I took the screen shot(s) I removed all of that info from my Settings Biography, because what I put in my settings for a Biography, is not Biography about me..

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

That is an example of what I am referring to. While the section will word wrap, it is still all only one line.

For instance, if I type:

This is a line.

This is a second line.

Then it will format like this:

This is a line. This is a second line.

Endless blocks of text are difficult to read for a lot of people, so I'm just looking to break it up a little.

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

The ability to use simple HTML is a permission granted as you rank up on the community, even though it's not specifically listed in the Community Ranking Structure.  Hope that answers your question.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@KaLin wrote:

The ability to use simple HTML is a permission granted as you rank up on the community, even though it's not specifically listed in the Community Ranking Structure.  Hope that answers your question.

Ok, interesting.

Please tell us. At what level?

Thanks.

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

I've been digging around in the user permissions and it looks like that permission is granted at the Copper Contributor level.  However, the setting is for posts and signatures only -- not for the member profile, which would include the About Me section.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

So HTML will never be allowed in that particular section.  Is there some other way to add line breaks?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@somegirl wrote:

So HTML will never be allowed in that particular section.  Is there some other way to add line breaks?

While I do not know the answer to your question, I can you what you could do in the meantime as you wait for them to fix it.

#1 Make a web page, and put it on a web site.

#2 In the Biography line/space, put the URL of the web page at your web site.

0 Likes