Search Box Proposal Change
DarkCobra1
Contributor - Level 3

I would suggest they flip the position of the two search boxes.    The top of the page search box is for the verizon site and the bottom search box is for the forum.   I think people would naturally use the top search box before the bottom one and it is the forum search box (now on the bottom) that actually would be the MOST helpful for members to use given that they have come to the forum seeking answers to questions in the forum.   Also a one line sentence explaining what the forum search box does would be a great directional tool for finding answers more quickly  🙂

Message Edited by DarkCobra on 05-23-2009 11:32 AM
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Search Box Proposal Change
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

There is also already a search box for the forums on the main page and on each category page, just above the board and category listings.

0 Likes
DarkCobra1
Contributor - Level 3

@KaLin wrote:

There is also already a search box for the forums on the main page and on each category page, just above the board and category listings.

Yupo!   That's where I got the idea from.   On the Main & Category Pages the search box for the forum IS on the top.   However, when you go into a thread . . . suddenly the forum search box is moved to the very bottom and the top search box is for the verizon site.    I say we flip them so that it is consistently in the same place all the time.    It makes more sense to keep the forum search box at all times on the top.   What do you think?
0 Likes
DarkCobra1
Contributor - Level 3
Hey how did you draw that red arrow?   Kewl !!!
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I disagree with changing the positions, all that needs to be done is to properly label them, and maybe add a forum one on certain pages.

There are three search boxes on the main "list all forums" page, and two search boxes on some or maybe most of the pages for an individual forum. There appears to be plenty of room for explanatory text by each box to identify what they will search. And I think there should be a forum search box above and below each of the listings so if I have scrolled to the top or the bottom I will see a search box in either case.

FWIW, I almost never use the "search all of Verizon" box because it typically gives me 5 gazillion responses of which 4.99999999999 gazillion have no bearing on or relationship to the topic I was searching on  Smiley Sad 

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
DarkCobra1
Contributor - Level 3

I totally agree with Justin on a couple of things!   I too NEVER use that search all of Verizon box as it takes you all over the place and rarely to where you ever want to go.   That actually was why I suggested we be consistent and keep the forum search box at the top where it is everywhere else.    It's just a matter of consistency of placement.

Also, he's right that an explanatory sentence would be most helpful.   If you notice I had called for the same explanatory sentence in my OP as well 🙂

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Hold that thought for the upgrade.  It's still being customized at this point.  :smileywink:

And, DarkCobra -- I us MS Paint to draw my boxes and arrows.  Smiley Happy

Justin46
Legend

@DarkCobra wrote:
Hey how did you draw that red arrow?   Kewl !!!

There are of course lots of tools that allow capture and annotation of windows. I have tried a bunch of them and settled on the older but free version of Faststone Capture. This (did I say free?) tool offers lots of capture options and includes an image editor so you can add arrows, highlight areas, etc. One of the things I really like is if you need to capture a portion of a window or some popups that disappear whenever you click the mouse, this tool offers a timer so you can set it to capture the image x seconds after you start it, so you have the time to set the screen up exactly how you want it, with popups, etc as well as the mouse positioned exactly where you want it.

If you are interested, here is a link to where you can get the older but free version:

http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/mmedia/FastStoneCapture.html

There is also a newer shareware version, I don't know what additional function you get with that, the free version has met my needs.

Keller, TX 76248 

DarkCobra1
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks Justin!   What a great forum this is!   Lots of smart friendly folks and I learn about all kinds of stuff in here 🙂

0 Likes