Why does Verizon discriminate against Firefox?
brh3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been using Firefox for amny years since it's first release.  Why does Verizon not allow me to log into the forums with Firefox?

Bjoern

0 Likes
Re: Why does Verizon discriminate against Firefox?
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

What version of Firefox are you using?  There are many, many users here that log in with Firefox without incident.

0 Likes
brh3
Enthusiast - Level 2

The latest version 3.6.13. 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@brh wrote:

The latest version 3.6.13. 

brh,

I don't know at this point why you are having trouble with Firefox and the Forums, but I am using 3.6.13, have been using this version for several months, and Firefox at earlier levels for years, and am not having any problem at all using any Verizon site: the Forums, web mail, My Verizon for paying my bill (have been doing it for 3 or so years), and Remote DVR access. I am pretty sure I could access other Verizon functions if I wanted from Firefox, but I have not had any need to.

So, your premise is just flat wrong IMHO.

Now, tell us what you are trying to do (I know you said logon to the forums, but specifically), what doesn't work, error messages, etc. And probably most important, what Firefox Add-ons you are using, or as an alternative, try running Firefox with no add-ons active, and see what works/doesn't work (assuming you are using Windows, go into programs to the Mozilla Firefox folder and select Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode), bet it will work that way.

Give us more info, I bet someone here will be able to help you.

Keller, TX 76248

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Have you tried running a plain vanilla Firefox?

I point to http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/safe%20mode

#2 If that does not help resolve the issue, what is the OS and Version that you are using? I am using ubuntu 10.04 LTS and it is working fine here.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/Outdated-browser/idc-p/253443#M2493

#3 If my first question resolves your issue, it was one or more your Extensions that is blocking you.

a) As to which one, trail and error (have only one enabled at a time).

b) If not an Extension, then one or more of the other add-ons.

^^

brh3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Right.  ON the address bar in Firefox, I go to http://forums.verizon.com/ and click on the Sign In link.

Now, I get 4 choices:

.  Sign in with a My Verizon Residential User ID and password
.  Create a My Verizon Residential User ID
.  Sign in with my Community Only User ID and password
.  Create a Community Only User ID

I then click on the "Sign in with my Community Only User ID and password" link which opens the typical userid and password fields.

I fill  in my userid and passwrod and click on the "Sign In" button.

The page refreshes and offers me the same four choices shown above.

When I do the same with Internet Explorer, it allows me to log in.

Bjoern

PS, I did try this with Firefox in safe mode.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Have you cleared your cache?

0 Likes
brh3
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I selected Firefox in safe mode, I cleared everything.  It was so cleared that I had to restore my Firefox profile.  (Thanks goodnes for FEBE).

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Has this always been a problem with firefox, or is it recent?  Also, do you have any add ons for FF that could be interfering?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@brh wrote:

Right.  ON the address bar in Firefox, I go to http://forums.verizon.com/ and click on the Sign In link.

Now, I get 4 choices:

.  Sign in with a My Verizon Residential User ID and password
.  Create a My Verizon Residential User ID
.  Sign in with my Community Only User ID and password
.  Create a Community Only User ID

I then click on the "Sign in with my Community Only User ID and password" link which opens the typical userid and password fields.

I fill  in my userid and passwrod and click on the "Sign In" button.

The page refreshes and offers me the same four choices shown above.

When I do the same with Internet Explorer, it allows me to log in.

Bjoern

PS, I did try this with Firefox in safe mode.

OK, thanks for the additional information.

1) That is the same link I always use to get to the forums (successfully) using Firefox 3.6.13.

2) Ahhh.....unfortunately I have never tried to log in that way, I have a Verizon Residential User ID and always use that. You are not a Verizon residentail customer? Even if you are not, have you tried using that option to see what happens?

3) If I accidentally screw up my login the site usually comes back with the same login screen except that it has in small type an error message; you do not get any error message?

4) OK, that eliminates Firefox Add-ons.

Anybody here have experience logging on using the Community Only User ID with Firefox? I am guessing that the issue is something with that, but I have no clue what it might be. And I guess I can't try to replicate that since I have the residential id.

Keller, TX 76248