Re: Why does Verizon discriminate against Firefox?
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

I have Firefox 9.0.1 on one of my PCs and Firefox 8.0 on the other, and Lithium and Vz will NOT let me log on unless I switch to IE., and even then I have to re-do my password most of the time.

I just discovered that Lithium is running the forum for Seagate, and it also has log on issues.

Crap work.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Just tested again after updating from FF 8 to 9.0.1 - Posting this message from Firefox. No issues with login, but I don't have any addons installed...

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

The problems logging on to this Forum with Firefox are real and continue.

See http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Suggestions-For-This-Community/Cannot-Log-in-to-this-forum-with-Firefox...

The fault is Verizon and Lithium's, and they have not fixed this after an entire year.

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

ginz,

See my reply to you at the link you just posted.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@glnz wrote:

The problems logging on to this Forum with Firefox are real and continue.

See http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Suggestions-For-This-Community/Cannot-Log-in-to-this-forum-with-Firefox...

The fault is Verizon and Lithium's, and they have not fixed this after an entire year.

There is nothing to fix!

Your statement is just absolutely, positively not true! I have been using Firefox, various levels (now on 10.0.2), since I first joined the Forums a week or two after they started 3 1/2 years ago. Never, ever a single problem logging in. Over the years I have used a variety of Firefox extensions and plugins, right now today I have 18 extensions and 17 plug-ins active.

Your problem is almost certainly one of your extensions or plug-ins. I have no clue which one, but the easy way to prove it is to start Firefox without any of the them active - if you can log in, then you need to find out which one. If it doesn't, then it is something else you are using in your computer - operating system setting, other product like your anti-virus or firewall, etc. Firefox 10.0.2 provides an easy way to start Firexox without any add-ons, it is under Help.

There are plenty of things wrong with the Lithium implementation that affect primarily Verizon website performance, but logging in is not one of them.

Keller, TX 76248

mjlite

Not sure if you're still experiencing the issue, but I've had the exact problem logging in to My Verizon (verizonwireless.com) for a quite a while and never found a reason until I was looking into another issue of FF not displaying thumbnails on some websites.  I tried the below and it instantly fixed the issue of logging in with FF (along with displaying the missing thumbnails!):

<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_or_animations_don%27t_load>

Specifically, this line:

"- Some sites will block the request if no referring URL is sent. Use about:config to make sure that the preference network.http.sendRefererHeader is set to "2" (default) and reset, if necessary."

For some reason mine was set to "0" and as soon as I switched it to "2", I was able to log in to Verizon.  Give it a shot and hopefully it fixes it for you.

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks mjlite, but I already had the correct setting.

Would lithium and Vz PLEASE work on this and stop saying that everything is fine?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@glnz wrote:

Thanks mjlite, but I already had the correct setting.

Would lithium and Vz PLEASE work on this and stop saying that everything is fine?

They don't need to do anything because EVERYTHING IS FINE!

Keller, TX 76248

Conrad99
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's virtually impossible to use any Verizon services with Firefox.

The Home Monitoring service is non-functional, and even these forums can't be accessed.

Every time I try to sign in, it takes me to the Register page. 

etc etc etc... the problems noted above are REAL.

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Archguy is correct.  I can sign in here with IE but never with Firefox.  I do not have this problem on any other forum anywhere.  And this forum is damned slow with IE because an amazing amount of stuff is running in the background.

My Firefox is version 14.0.1.  I use NoScript, but I always allow scripts from verizon.com, .net, etc. sources.  I also use Ad-Block Plus and Better Privacy.  My Firefox is set to permit cookies from verizon.com, verizon.net and other verizon-related domain names I have seen, including forums.verizon.com.   Of course, cookies from thousands of other (non-Verizon) sites are blocked in my Firefox.  All of this is basic good practice for surfing, and Verizon should encourage it.  (Does Verizon have some secret cookie or script sources it wants to let us know?)

I could sort of understand if Verizon were a small clothing company based in Vietnam and not a major US telecommunications giant, but it is mind-boggling that Verizon -- Verizon !! -- cannot learn how to accommodate Firefox.  Bad show.

0 Likes