"FAQ" sticky post in General Device Section
DarkCobra1
Contributor - Level 3

Ok . . . I got another "gooffy idea" Smiley Very Happy

I've noticed a very clear pattern (trend) of certain questions getting posted on an almost daily basis by incoming new people.   It seems not a day goes by when the proverbial . . . "How do I get images from my phone to my computer or visa versa?" . . . "How do I activate a new phone or switch from one phone to another?" . . . "How do I appeal a decision that I think is unfair?", etc.

There's clearly a redundancy of the same questions piling up.   Personally, I think people should really just learn to scroll down some of the forum questions and usually they'd see the answer to a lot of these just several days ago or even hours ago in some cases.   Also, the use of the search box feature could find answers to those issues, as those are some of the tools I regularly use but I guess not everybody is into that.

Anyway, it might be a good idea to have some of these very general and common questions already addressed as a permanent "sticky" post at the top of the General Device section where most of them seem to initially appear.   It would really help a lot of new people get those "most asked" questions answered right up front.   As usual, not everybody will read it but a good number might and thus avoid the redundancy of the same general questions being asked and answered on a daily basis.

I realize we have a FAQ section but I'm proposing one specific to cell phones at the top of the General Device section.

Ok . . . I'm ready to hear why this won't work "because" . . .  🙂

Message Edited by DarkCobra on 05-16-2009 08:46 AM
Re: "FAQ" sticky post in General Device Section
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner
There's already a FAQ for Wireless phones, plans and services here
0 Likes
DarkCobra1
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah I saw that . . . ah, how do I gently put this . . . Well, it's a little thin?    I mean there's maybe a couple of items there but clearly practically ZERO activity there as well.  

What I was suggesting was fielding some of the dozen or so top regular questions that are most often asked by newbees directly in the General Device section where pretty much all of them go.    I know they "should" go to where you pointed, but honestly . . . after seeing what is there (and I mean this as no slam to Moderator Jay who oversee's that)  . . . there really isn't a whole lot of the usual questions and answers listed there.

So I guess adding more questions and maybe moving that whole section to the top of the General Device section (where all the newbees seem to want to go) would be the best spot for that section.    As they say in real estate "location, location, location".    Yeah, there's a section but it looks like no one really goes there and it's a tad thin when they do :(.       

I really hope I haven't offended anyone or overstepped anything.   Maybe it was a bad idea . . . I can pull this idea if it's best to do so.

Message Edited by DarkCobra on 05-16-2009 12:21 PM
0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner
Thanks for the input.  I'll pass along the suggestion.
0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Dark Cobra states:

"...it might be a good idea to have some of these very general and common questions already addressed as a permanent "sticky" post at the top of the General Device section where most of them seem to initially appear.   It would really help a lot of new people get those "most asked" questions answered right up front.   As usual, not everybody will read it but a good number might and thus avoid the redundancy of the same general questions being asked and answered on a daily basis."

Excellent idea - in fact, a FAQ for each section might be in order.  Sure the boards look busy, but the questions are a lot of the same things repeated endlessly.  I'm probably not typical, but I tend to read the boards first before posting my question....and often end up finding my answer before posting.  Then answering others' questions...and learning some interesting things my phone can do along the way....

This probably won't work because no one wants to take the time to compile the FAQ&A sticky post Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by SuzyQ on 07-20-2009 10:05 AM
0 Likes