Can I convert my external hard drives previously used with Dish -to work with Fios 7232 stb?
mack64
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have three 1 tbyte external hard drives which I was using on my dish network set top boxes.  These external hard drives used a regular USB plug to connect to my dish receivers.  Can I purchase a different cord to allow the external hard drives to connect to the fios set top box which has a thinner plug?  I would hate to have to buy new external hard drives just to use with my new fios set top boxes.

Thanks for your responses 

0 Likes
Re: Can I convert my external hard drives previously used with Dish -to work with Fios 7232 stb?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The drives must be eSATA not USB.  If they don't support eSATA then they are not useable (the "thinner plug" that you refer to is not a USB but an eSATA connector).  Here is A LINK to a Wikipedia SATA (and eSATA) page.

0 Likes
Re: Can I convert my external hard drives previously used with Dish -to work with Fios 7232 stb?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

To the OP:

Not an "expert" on this, but I recall reading that it is not the external HDD that determines suitability, but rather the external HDD enclosure.  If you change out your existing enclosure for one that uses an esata interface, and does not allow the HDD to "sleep" or go into some sort of hibernate state, it will probably function with the Verizon-supplied 7232 or similar.  Note that this idea is only an assumption on my part.  Good luck.

tns
Master - Level 2

A lot of these External drives are completely self contained.  I.e. they were not designed for you to remove the HDD from the enclosure.  Note that some do include esata and USB and some actually support a plug in adapter that can be USB, Firewire, or eSata.