quick menu

How to get High Paying Clients

How to get High Paying Clients
Employee Employee ‎09-25-2018 10:00 AM

High Paying Customers-VBM0346.png

How to get high paying clients

My good pal Paul faced a crisis in 2009 when the Not-So-Great Recession was really starting to get into full swing and we were all realizing just how serious it really was.

For many years, my buddy had ridden the Southern California real estate gravy train. The market in L.A. seemed to go nowhere but up, up, up, and getting clients was a breeze. His income was in the mid-six figures for many years in a row, and he thought he was a real estate whiz kid.

Until.

The double-whammy of the recession and the drop-off in the L.A. real estate market brought him back to reality. Suddenly, deals were very tough to come by and his income took a big hit.

It was against this backdrop that Paul learned a business secret that he shared with me and which I would like to share with you today.

Not knowing what to do, he set up a meeting with his mentor – an old real estate pro. My friend explained the problem, and this is what the master told him:

“Paul, markets go up and markets go down. Obviously, we are in a down market and I don’t see that changing for a while. So, if the market isn’t going to change, you have to. Here is what I suggest: Put your time, energy, effort, money, marketing, and resources into doing bigger deals. It takes just about the same amount of effort to do a deal for a commercial property at $2.5 million as it does to do one for a house for $250,000, but you will get paid ten-times as much. If you are only going to do a few deals a year now because of the market, make sure they are big deals.”

And so that is what my friend did. He dug in and learned everything he could about commercial real estate. He took marketing classes. He learned about selling to corporate clients. And it paid off.

Though he only did but one deal the next year, it was for a 10-unit apartment building and his commission was enough to keep the dream alive. And now, here, a few years later with the real estate market booming once again, Paul is sitting pretty in his “new” occupation. “It was a tough lesson,” he told me, “but a very valuable one. I am a better person, and businesses person, because of it. And I am making more money and having more fun than ever.”

So, how does this relate to you?

The answer is that you too should consider looking for bigger clients; ones with bigger budgets that have bigger needs. Bigger budgets mean bigger paydays. So the secret therefore is, you have to seek out and find corporate clients, government contracts, and high net worth individuals and partners.

I believe in this strategy so much because not only does it make a lot of sense, and not only have I seen it work for others like my pal Paul, but it has worked for yours truly as well. As you can see, I am a writer; I create small business content – articles, blogs, webinars, videos, and so on. There was a time when I focused my energies and marketing on selling to non-profit associations, like chambers of commerce.

The problem with non-profits is that, well, they don’t have much profit to spend, do they?

And then I remembered Paul’s story. Duh! The answer was right in front of me. I pivoted, changed direction, and began to focus my energies on selling to corporate clients instead. And it has made all the difference. I more than doubled my income in a little over a year by employing this strategy.

So, where do you find these bigger clients and how do you sell to them? Here’s how:

Take my upcoming free Verizon webinar.

Verizon and I have teamed up and I will be presenting a webinar entitled, “How to Get High Paying Customers and Clients” on Wednesday, October 15, at 1:45 eastern. In it, I will not only share a half dozen unique and different ways to find these high-paying clients, not only how to sell to them, but I will also explain what they are looking for in partners and why this economy is the best time to jump on this powerful strategy.

And, like I said, it’s free. Hope to see you there!

About Verizon Business Markets
Get news from Verizon about Business Markets services and market trends that affect your bottom line. Here, you'll find tips and commentary from the Verizon Business Markets group and other experts to help keep your business growing.

Contact the editor: tumara.r.jordan@verizon.com

About the Authors

Tumara Jordan

Senior Manager: Verizon Business Markets

Photo of Tumara Jordan

Tumara is a contributor to the Business Markets Marketing team and she currently manages Social Media marketing campaigns.

Categories
Twitter

My Verizon

• Add or Change Plan
  • Suspend My Service
  • Apps

Support

Watch Fios