Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get gifts fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same-day delivery.

Overcome Marketing Myths To Reach Your Full Potential

Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus ‎03-10-2015 07:40 AM
J Blaney.pngGuest post by Justin Blaney, featured Verizon Small Business Webinar Series guest, entrepreneur and No. 1 best-selling author of six books including “Evan Burl and the Falling.” 

Recently, I wrote about a new twist to marketing your business and/or yourself. If you missed it, click here. 

There are a lot of misconceptions about marketing. I learned a lot of them from business people, business school and innumerable business books. Here are a few examples of the things I was taught that were proven by experience to be myths:

• Marketing is important, regardless of the outcome.
I’ve found that marketing is worthless if it isn't effective for lead generation and increasing your sales.

• Good marketing can increase sales for any company.
Marketing can cause a spike in interest for just about any business, but increasing sales is a multifaceted beast. The quality of your product, the service that supports it, how you use your sales tools and your business model are just a few of these facets. Marketing alone won't make the difference.

• Companies can't succeed with bad marketing. 
I've seen many companies firsthand who have done little to no marketing (and the marketing they did was horrendous) and still achieve enormous success.

• Networking is not marketing.
This is actually true, if you keep networking narrowly defined. However, if you expand your definition, you’ll find that networking is a very important aspect of marketing. It can also be one of the most powerful, easiest and lowest cost methods of generating qualified leads and increasing sales.

• Success in business is all about who you know.
It's far more important to consider who knows you. This is pivotal for inbound marketing.

I'm convinced these myths hold a lot of people and businesses back from reaching their full potential, not just potential for growing their business but for enjoying what they do for a living. There's a whole world of opportunity out there just waiting for those who can see the possibilities, but it's going to take a shift in the way we've been trained to think about the most basic principles of marketing.

This is an exciting time to live in. Changes create opportunity for new thought leaders, non-profits and businesses to jump in and rise quickly to the top. It’s going to be a journey, and I hope you're as excited as I am.

If you haven't done it yet, please register - for free - to join me live (http://vz.to/1E28oDM) tomorrow as I share tips on how to increase sales leads as a part of the Verizon Webinar Series.
Famously-Helpful-Free-Download (2).jpgVisit inkliss.com/verizon for more information on how helpeting can help your business and to download the free ebook, Famously Helpful, an in-depth guide to lead generation and growth through helpeting. Justin Blaney is the #1 bestselling author of six books, including Evan Burl and the Falling. He has founded more than a dozen businesses and nonprofits which made him a millionaire at the age of 25. He has since lost his fortune several times over, but through the ups and downs discovered the work for which he was designed.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Get news from Verizon about Business Markets services and market trends that affect your bottom line. Here, you'll find tips and commentary from the Verizon Business Markets group and other experts to help keep your business growing.

Contact the editor: tumara.r.jordan@verizon.com