Switch Account

The New Way to Market: Helpeting

The New Way to Market: Helpeting
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus ‎03-10-2015 07:43 AM
J Blaney.pngGuest post by Justin Blaney, featured Verizon Small Business Webinar Series guest, entrepreneur and No. 1 best-selling author of six books including “Evan Burl and the Falling.” 

Marketing is broken

Marketing has changed. Saturating the world with ads isn't enough. Making a superb product and hoping everyone finds us isn't enough either. We need a new method, a strategy better suited to the modern, oversaturated, mile-a-minute marketplace. 

This may sound surprising, but the best method I’ve found for cutting through the enormous clutter of this busy world is pretty simple. It's being helpful. You may be thinking, “What? That's the big idea?” That’s it. I've seen this approach work so well that it can do more than advertise a product. I've seen it work with finding jobs, donors and customers.

This deceptively simple idea flips upside down the traditional ideas of advertising, self-promotion and hype. Instead of being all about us we get to be all about others. It's refreshingly counter-cultural and effective at the same time. This concept is so important that I’m convinced it’s the way businesses and individuals are going to market themselves for years to come.

Helpeting
The word helpeting was born during a presentation, when I was trying to describe the differences between helping people and marketing. “It’s like helping people instead of marketing,” I said. “Like…helpeting.” Someone laughed and I'm still not sure if they were making fun of me or delighted by the possibilities, but I took it as a confirmation. 

Welcome to the helpeting revolution.

Helpeting is based on serving others instead of promoting ourselves. Some people call it inbound or content marketing, but helpeting is much more than that. I’ve seen it work powerfully in the lives of many of my mentors as well as companies and thought leaders who have used these ideas to generate leads and achieve an incredible level of success.

Helpeting is a new word, but it's an old idea. If you study successful business people carefully, you'll see it in action. Take a look at Rick Wong. Rick is a sales expert who’s had a great deal of success. He's run major divisions of Microsoft and Hewlett Packard. He had quarterly meetings with Michael Dell for a season. When you talk with Rick, you're talking with someone who knows his stuff.

When we first met, he told me about Lisa Hufford, who runs an enormously successful consulting firm that was about to break $50 million in revenue. 

“She’s only been at it a few years,” Rick said. Then he leaned forward and added, “Lisa is so successful because she loves helping people."

As I got to know Rick, I realized that the secret of Lisa's success is also the secret of his. People like Rick and Lisa achieve a disproportionate amount of success because, in part, they're willing to go to extraordinary lengths to help others. They have influential friends who would do anything for them and swarms of advocates who recommend them constantly. Being helpful is a trait that follows, and precedes, successful people wherever they go.

In my next post, I’ll share the many misconceptions about marketing. 

If you haven’t done it already, please register – for free – to join me live (http://vz.to/1E28oDM) next Wednesday as I share tips on how to increase sales leads as a part of the Verizon Webinar Series. Famously-Helpful-Free-Download (2)-edited.jpgVisit inkliss.com/verizon for more information on how helpeting can help your business and to download the free ebook, Famously Helpful, an in-depth guide to lead generation and growth through helpeting. Justin Blaney is the #1 bestselling author of six books, including Evan Burl and the Falling. He has founded more than a dozen businesses and nonprofits which made him a millionaire at the age of 25. He has since lost his fortune several times over, but through the ups and downs discovered the work for which he was designed.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Get news from Verizon about Business Markets services and market trends that affect your bottom line. Here, you'll find tips and commentary from the Verizon Business Markets group and other experts to help keep your business growing.

Contact the editor: tumara.r.jordan@verizon.com