quick menu

Where's The Strangest Place You've Ever Taken A Business Call?

Where's The Strangest Place You've Ever Taken A Business Call?

greatwall.jpgWhether it’s sitting in a crowded airport or atop one of the seven wonders of the world, an explosion of technology has paved the way for professionals to take business calls from just about anywhere. Even from the Great Wall of China?

You might be surprised.

At the Enterprise Connect trade show earlier this year, we spoke to professionals about their habits, practices and attitudes on the changing nature of work, including “Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever taken a business call?”

Here's what people told us about their strangest places:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkLCsN9QRBY

No question the business call – whether it’s a one-on-one call or a multi-person conference call – is a standby of office communications and can be a lifeline for a worker-on-the-go.“The virtual workforce could be growing,’’ according to “Managing the Virtual Workforce, a WorkSimple Infographic. Some 60 percent of office-based employees use “virtual teaming’’ technologies – including teleconferencing, texting and instant messaging – daily, according the Infographic.

At Verizon, with more than 30 years of experience in providing conferencing services, we understand the role of effective collaboration in driving business productivity – in the office or on-the-go. Verizon works with large business and government customers to manage global and often far-flung workforces with the use of advanced unified communications and collaboration (UC&C) and mobility capabilities to fuel the growing borderless work style.

But the flexibility of 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week connectivity often also is not without its ups and downs. In “Is the Dream of Being a Mobile Worker Really a Nightmare?’’ Jason Reese discusses working while he is on vacation and taking conference calls from the beach. “In fact, right now as I write this I am sitting on a balcony looking out at the ocean. … While moments like this seem to capture the ‘dream’ of being a true mobile worker, there have been plenty of other moments over the past three days that make me wonder whether the idea and freedom of the true mobile worker is actually a nightmare,’’ he writes in a June 10, 2010 post on Gear Diary. “Beach view aside, I can tell you I’ve been on four conference calls (two while sitting on the beach) and constantly in touch while on a short “vacation.”’’

One can only imagine Jason, writing about this in his swim suit and flip flops. (See What’s Your Work Style – What’s Your “Uniform” for the Home Office? To vote in a Facebook poll visit here. )

As the nature of the world of work evolves, we want to hear your stories – where is the strangest placed you’ve ever taken a business call?

Send us your feedback – to what people are saying, what they are doing, and your input, including photos or videos -- on how businesses can move toward the future world of work. Comment on this blog; e-mail us at future.of.work@verizon.com; or weigh in on our Verizon social media properties – @verizonbusiness on Twitter using the hashtag #VZFOW. Or on the Verizon Business pages on Facebook and LinkedIn.

Editor's Note:  This blog post is one of a series on the Future of Work that can be found at the Verizon Think Forward Blog.

Comments
Bronze Contributor II

Last fall, I took several work calls from the largest cemetary in the U.S. AFTER the burial of a friend's mom that I attended.  Sounds creepier than it really proved to be as it was actually quite peaceful.  Only sound around was the chirping of birds.

About Verizon Business Markets
Get news from Verizon about Business Markets services and market trends that affect your bottom line. Here, you'll find tips and commentary from the Verizon Business Markets group and other experts to help keep your business growing.

Contact the editor: tumara.r.jordan@verizon.com

About the Authors

Tumara Jordan

Senior Manager: Verizon Business Markets

Photo of Tumara Jordan

Tumara is a contributor to the Business Markets Marketing team and she currently manages Social Media marketing campaigns.

Categories
Twitter

My Verizon

• Add or Change Plan
  • Suspend My Service
  • Apps

Support

Watch Fios