Guest post from Ramon Ray, editor & technology evangelist, Smallbiztechnology.com, shares 10 Ways To Build Mutually Profitable Relationships Online and In Person.
Networking is one of the most important activities a business person can do. There are several reasons why network is important:
- Networking gives you access to peers who can give you advice;
- Networking helps you find potential new customers;
- Networking can be a great source to find new employees; and
- Networking helps you find vendors that you may need (cleaners, consultants, lawyers, etc.).
These are just a few of the reasons why networking is important.
Some people think there is a science to networking, but there is no science to networking, sometimes I wonder if there’s really even an art to it. Good networking is very simple, it’s about treating others as you would want to be treated. It’s about treating others like how your mama raised you.
Below are three tips I’ve learned over the years that go far in good networking:
1. Be a giver – so many people are so overt about what THEY can get from a relationship that they forget about the pure pleasure of just sharing and giving to others.
2. Be strategic – Your time is precious, networking is not a profession. Some people go to every event they can go to, pass out all their business cards and accept every business card. I don’t do this. I’m very careful about what events I attend and who I network with. My time is precious and so is theirs (and yours) so a good match and synergy is critical.
3. Be thankful – remember when you loan your friend some money or helped him out and he didn’t even say thank you? How did you feel? Not so great, I’m sure. In networking make sure you express your gratitude even if the lead didn’t work out… your new contact made an effort and was willing to help, that’s got to count, right?
To get the rest of my tips on how I network to build mutually profitable relationships online and in person, join the live free webinar presented by the Verizon Small Business Center Wednesday, Feb. 15 at 2 p.m. ET. Click here or go to http://www.brighttalk.com/r/59h to register now.
Thank you for your time! To connect with me online follow me @ramonray and to connect with the Verizon Small Business team follow @VZSmallBiz. During the live webinar @VZSmallbiz will tweet my tips using #vzsmb. If you are on Twitter, please give us a ‘shout out’ and feel free to send me your question via Twitter using the hashtag #vzsmb.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.