3 out of 5 try's get error logging into email, Using Thunderbird and before that Mailwasher
boilermaker1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I use mail washer first to check email and mark any spam as spam with spamcop and then click on washmail it deltes and reports mail to spamcop and then loads thrunderbird.

3 or of 5 time (Not exact making a point) it will error out with 

Description: Failed to login to server "pop.verizon.net" for your {edited for privacy}verizon.net account

Diagnosis:

This could suggest the following problems:

- Your username or password is incorrect.
- The server address is incorrect.
- You are trying to connect through an invalid port.

On Thunderbird I will get the popup box that wants me to enter my password.

My setting are

Server type : POP3

Server Address: {edited for privacy}verizon.net

Password: XXXXXXXXXXX

Server Port #: 995

This server requires a secure connection (SSL) Checked

Use secure Authentication Checked

Pipelining Enabled for checking mail Checked

Pipelining Enabled for deleteing mail Checked

SMTP

SMTP Address: smtp.verizon.net

Server Port #: 465

SMTP Server requires Authentication

Use same setting Incoming mail server Checked

Server connection SSL

Thunder bird same settings

Some days I have no problem at all and some it papends everytime then I will check again and it goes through so I know my settings are correct.

Mitch

Re: 3 out of 5 try's get error logging into email, Using Thunderbird and before that Mailwasher
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

Over the last four days it's been worse than that for me. On Saturday, 10/27/18, it was on again off again. By the end of the day the only way I could read my mail was through the webmail site.  On Sunday, 10/28/18, I was never able to access the servers through pop/smtp using Thunderbird nor on my iPhone. The only way to get to my email was through the webmail site.  Yesterday, Monday, 10/29/18, about 0900-0930 the pop/smtp access started working again and worked great all day long.

Today, 10/30/18, I haven't been able to get to email through Thunderbird or my iPhone.  I'm once again getting the error message:

Sending of password for user xxxxxxxx did not succeed. Mail server pop.verizon.net responded: [SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later.

Then I get the Thunderbird pop-up to enter my email password to try again only to have it fail over and over and over with the above error message.  I sure wish I knew who to contact to get this fixed.  Seems like Verizon wants to say one must contact AOL, but we all know how that goes.  There is definitely a problem with AOL/Yahoo password server configurations that is making this happen.  Or perhaps the servers are just overloaded.

Re: 3 out of 5 try's get error logging into email, Using Thunderbird and before that Mailwasher
deilenberger1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just spent the morning moving all my subscribed accounts that were on verizon.net over to my gmail account.

I use IMAP for all my accounts with Thunderbird as my mail software. For the past week Thunderbird has not been able to access ANY of my "folders" created under the \Inbox. Repeated messages to AOL support have gone unanswered, and I have better things to do with my life than sit around fighting with a crappola product like AOL mail.

Funny thing - the SPAM messages still continue to get though..

0 Likes
boilermaker1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So AOL will be of no help seems Verizon didn't want email and passed it on to a product that doesn't have Customer support. Nice

So if I call tech support they will not help?

boilermaker1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The comment the servers are overloaded is probally what is happening and they don't want to offically say that

0 Likes
deilenberger1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup - their idea of help is to simply ignore you. AOL offers "help" if you want to pay for it - of course you're already paying Verizon for using AOL email.

It certainly makes me think about an alternative provider..  for both Internet and TV - Comcast keeps sending me wonderful offers..

0 Likes
No POP/SMTP Available
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

For the fourth day in a row we are unable to access our Verizon/AOL email account using POP and SMTP.  It was available for a time yesterday evening, but is now out again and returns the error message:

sending of password for user XXXXXXXXX@verizon.net did not succeed. Mail server pop.verizon.net responded: [SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later.

As one can see there are some server issues that need to be fixed, but it seems we have no way of finding out when they will be fixed or of even reporting the problem.

Does anyone know how to report the issue or who to contact that cares about the issue?

EDITED TO ADD:

POP/SMTP seems to be back up at about 1100 EDT.

Still would like to know who we can contact that cares about the recent email issues.

0 Likes
Re: No POP/SMTP Available
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

Spoke too early.

At 1330 EDT, the POP and SMTP servers are not working right and giving the same error message as earlier: SYS/TEMP Server error, etc.

0 Likes
boilermaker1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have not had a problem since an hour after I First posted.

0 Likes
boilermaker1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Spoke too soon It just happened

0 Likes