I am using FIOS internet and mostly via wi-fi on my notebook. Periodically when trying to SEND a message, I get the error message noted above 550 5.7.1 Authentication Required . I then have to resend, and it normally goes through. What is the problem and the fix?
... when trying to SEND a message, I get the error message noted above 550 5.7.1 Authentication Required . I then have to resend, and it normally goes through. What is the problem and the fix?
You may want to check your account settings. Recently VZ changed the details for authentication on the VZ mail servers. Look here:
Verizon email STINKS! I am constantly dealing with this same issue and support is completely UNHELPFUL. My suggestion is to open a gmail.com account and use it whenever your Verizon email doesn't work. Not so gradually you will have all your emails and contacts on your gmail account and then you can abandon verizon. They DO NOT care about providing you email support -- they don't make any money on it! As long as you're using them to connect to the internet -- to access your gmail account -- they want you as a customer.
Re: 550 5.7.1 Authentica
[ Edited ]
03-22-2013 12:17 PM - edited 03-22-2013 12:18 PM
>>rollie: The link provided does not tell me what the settings should be to avoid the authentication message.
Try this link--this is the link to the Verizon Announcement for the server changes and apparently some people were sent an email but I never received one and was surprised last week when I couldn't send mail. URL might wrap:
Hope that helps...if you are using Eudora, you might also find the "Eudora & server changes" thread useful.
Same issue for me for MONTHS. 2 30+ minute sessions with Verizon support - no solution. Got the same answer you all did: bad settings. I of course had already checked the settings. They were fine. Befuddled, Verizon asks me to manually re-input (we do this together multiple times; and Support was patient and nice). Eventually Support blames my email client (Maildroid on Android JB 4.3). I say except it's also happening on my PC client, Outlook on XP, which had been working fine with my verizon.net address for years but now has this same authentication issue. Support agrees that's weird and we spend 15 minutes chasing phantom settings issues there too. Support eventually concedes they can't do anything more and that I must have two bad email clients, one of which is MS Outlook. Me and the dozens of others in these and other fora taking the time to report this 550 5.7.1 Authentication issue, with all of us finding if we resend often multiple times the email finally sends? And these email clients work with every other ISP (I've also worked with the Maildroid developer and we can find nothing on his end, he gets this same inquiry from other verizon.net users, and that I am having the same problem now with my Outlook and didn't for years makes it plain this is not a client issue) but it's the clients and not Verizon? This seems to be a Verizon server issue. Frustrated enough now that I'm on the verge of going through the hassle of dumping my verizon.net address. To KMSCULLY's point, I would have thought there was some marketing value to Verizon of people like me keeping their verizon.net address but whatever that is it apparently isn't worth whatever investment is required to fix or replace their current servers. Very disappointing Verizon this issue can't be frankly addressed (clearly not a settings or email client issue for those of us who have fruitlessly been down those paths) and more importantly be solved. It can't be a settings issue; been there done that. You are a technology company . . .
As a test, I just installed MailDroid on my Android phone, and used the auto-setup for my @verizon.net address. I was able to send and receive a test message with no issues at all.
Are you able to send and receive messages normally from webmail? If not, there might be something wrong with your account itself.
I took some screenshots of what it auto-set in case that would help you:
If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
"All knowledge is worth having."
- Yes, those are exactly my screen shots on the settings. We've done both auto set up and manual, including re-inputting my email address.
- I appreciate that you sent a test no issue. I also send +/- 50-70% of my email no problem depending on the day. But at least a third do not send on first try. You then have to go into the Outbox, where the clogged email resides, open it back up and resend. Sometimes that works; sometimes I have to repeat that exercise 2, 3, and as much as 6 times to get the email to send!
- There does not appear to be any rhyme, reason, or pattern to this. No one particular email address is affected; no particular time of day seems worse than others. To be clear: I receive emails (it appears) just fine.
- I use email a lot (over 600 in my sent folder for last month). So this is not an isolated thing. 1/3 blocking a month is 200 emails (I'm guessing; maybe it's 100). Point being you can see why this is maddening and I'm near ready to ditch my verizon.net address.
- My strong suspicion is that this ties to Verizon's changeover to the 995 and 465 ports (and I've read some tech commentary that these ports are allegedly out of favor; I don't know I'm not a programmer). My Outlook never had an issue before Verizon changed ports.
Look forward to your further thoughts.