Re: AOL move and external POP account access not working sending and fixing 553 5.7.1 error
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am surprised to hear it was working before.

The intention was to make sure you existed on the SMTP server by the name you logged on with.  This was to reduce spamming message coming from Verizon Network.  It was never meant to allow you to use another network name.  It was always possible to provide another name for responding to email.  Allowing you to say you were another userid and network name WHICH THEY COULDN't Authenticate, would allow you to spam people anonymously.

Whether you like it or not you are NOW an AOL customer even if you haven't been told to switch your Webmail access.  And it certainly looks like AOL IS enforcing this.

0 Likes
Re: AOL move and external POP account access not working sending and fixing 553 5.7.1 error
no6b

Actually it would be quite easy for AOL to verify that I own a particular e-mail address: just send a verification code to it.  If I receive the code, that means it's my e-mail address, & if I can receive e-mail with it why can't I send too?

0 Likes
SamFrustrated

TNS_2, please understand that this is an area that you are not familiar with. I have no doubt that you have been very helpful for many people but this is an area you are not sufficiently familiar with. It does not work the way you assume it does.

There are a few things I have said that you are ignoring.

0 Likes
SamFrustrated

@no6b wrote:
if I can receive e-mail with it why can't I send too?

Email is not logical. Email is sent using SMTP servers that are totally different from the POP3 servers used to receive email.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SamFrustrated wrote:

TNS_2, please understand that this is an area that you are not familiar with. I have no doubt that you have been very helpful for many people but this is an area you are not sufficiently familiar with. It does not work the way you assume it does.

There are a few things I have said that you are ignoring.

Actually one of the things I did before I retired was run an Email server for my company.(18000 users).  I retired 10 years ago.  Even then spam was a problem and it was recommended that you NOT allow email to be introduced by your system if the Original User name was not carried in the headers.  You don't have the info to authenticate a user and his password on another system

Which thing do you think I am ignoring.  THe fact that you think AOL(a Verizon company) should still allow you to use a different userid and domain name?  Something else. 

0 Likes
no6b

Update: I called Verizon to complain about the problem.  Rep transferred me to AOL.  Explained the problem to AOL rep.  They said "your domain isn't in our system so we can't help".  Transferred me back to Verizon.  Told the next rep. I got that I was already transferred back to Verizon from AOL so please fix the problem!  From this point I was on the phone for at least another hour while the poor rep. did everything he could to research the problem.  Finally put someone on the line from AOL again!  But this time she asked for my full name & phone number plus the domain that I wanted to be able to send e-mail from.  She said wait 48 hours & then it should work!!!  We'll see...

0 Likes
I can no longer send email
hattrik21
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK So I run a personal domain and have an email address to go along with it. For the last 3+ years I have not had any issues sending emails via verizon's servers when I authenticated with my verizon account. Now after the switch over I can no longer do this. I get an error stating that %USER%@%DOMAIN% is not owend by my @verizon.net address. No kidding, I OWN IT. They state nothing will change and the moment I followed that stupid link and setup things on the AOL side, the issue began.

Before I get any bashing, verizon treated this as a third party email address and it WAS allowed when I logged onto their servers with my verizon email address.

Anyone have any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: I can no longer send email
no6b

See my prior message(s).

Still working the issue, almost 1 week later.  Chatted with AOL tech.; first said they're still working on it, then regressed to asking for my e-mail client's SSL settings, reset my modem, etc.  Opened a trouble ticket at postmaster.aol.com.  Will probably call Verizon tomorrow to ask for a reduction in my bill to pay for an outside SMTP service like no-ip.org ($20/year works to $1.67 mo., round up to $2/mo. for all the trouble).

0 Likes
Re: I can no longer send email
bulls2212

I have the exact same problem:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/After-being-forced-to-AOL-Mail-I-can-no-longer-send-m...

The good news for verizon is that they will save money from the move to AOL mail.

The bad news for verizon customers is that they are losing email functionality and may never be able to send email again from non-verizon pop3 accounts.

I have already asked Verizon to compensate me for the loss of email services.

Maybe a government agency will help us regain our lost services.

0 Likes
bulls2212

I'm having the same problem.

Why would Verizon do this to its customers?

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/After-being-forced-to-AOL-Mail-I-can-no-longer-send-m...

0 Likes