AOL move and external POP account access not working sending and fixing 553 5.7.1 error
sworcester

Moved my Verizon.net email over to AOL and now when I check email, using Outlook, my other email address (non Verizon POP3) it will recieve but not send email from that account, now giving an error

Send test e-mail message: Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties.  The server responded: 553 5.7.1 <user@mydomain.com>: Sender address rejected: not owned by user user@verizon.net

I tried talking with Verizon support who said it is an email problem so you have to talk with AOL. AOL said we only deal with Verizon and AOL accounts and they couldnt help.

I have my incoming server as my POP server as the documentation states, 

mail.mydomain.com

Outgoing as

smtp.verizon.net

Username and password are for mydomain.com

But I had to change the User Information to My Verizon info and then on the more settings/General put in the reply email address of the POP email account

(I never had to do this until the AOL change)

0 Likes
Re: AOL move and external POP account access not working sending and fixing 553 5.7.1 error
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They have stopped offering Mydomain.  Assuming you paid for it for this year, then you need to discuss it with Verizon.  I doubt AOL has anything set up  to help you.

Lots of luck.

0 Likes
Re: AOL move and external POP account access not working sending and fixing 553 5.7.1 error
SamFrustrated

I am getting the same message and I probably have the same situation. The person that commented about mydomain probably does not understand. In your case, "mydomain" is actually a different domain name, correct?

I also receive email using my domain's POP3 server but I must send email using Verizon's SMTP server.  As best as I understand things, that is how email works. Verizon's server woked for me yesterday and has worked for the six years we have had Verizon,. The Verizon suppport person I talked with insisted it is a temporary outage but he does not understand what our situaion is.

Yes, the Verizon help people are no help, they do not understand. We probably need to get the attention of someone that understands.

Hopefully it is a temporary problem and the relevant people in Verizon are working on fixing it.

0 Likes
no6b

Having the same problem here too.  I'm worried that this is a new "security feature" to thwart address spoofing.  If so, we'll need another SMTP server to use to send our e-mail.  Anyone have any leads as to what's available?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

OLD FEATURE for AOL.  And i thought for Verizon as well.  Your domain has to match, i.e  your userid at verizon.com.  Verizon was offering a feature called Your Domain that you paid for a year (and of course also offering business accounts).  As far as I knew only those with such accounts were allowed to specify non-Verizon domain names.

see info on your domain https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/email/your-domain

0 Likes
no6b

I never had "Your Domain", yet I was able to send mail using my own domain name for many years until yesterday.

0 Likes
SamFrustrated

Me too, no6b. The article that was posted about "Verizon Your Domain" is too vague (I am sure it makes sense to people that understands it). I cannot be sure it applies to us. If it applies to us then Verizon should have warned us and given us enough time to figure out what we need to do. It is my understanding that I must use my ISP's SMTP server to send email. Verizon also needs to educate their support people so they understand the problem and solution(s). You can read in my first post how the Verizon customer service person reacted to the problem when I tried to get help.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

NO you do not need to send your email thru verizon SMTP server.  Normally you send it to the server that owns or supports your domain name.

However verizon does block port 25 the default, unsecured well known port.  Some of the popular other ports are not blocked (587,465 etc)

0 Likes
SamFrustrated

Unless you have been hacking my system, you do not know how I normally send email. Note that there are three customers that have been sending email for a non-Verizon account thru the Verizon server  That is a fact, you seen to want to argue. It is a service that Verizon has been providing for years. If they are not offering it now then it is a huge inconvenience to not provide us time to prepare. Please do not ignore that.

The following all provide some kind of explanartion of customers sending email that the account is external to the ISP thru their ISP.

Why can’t I Send Domain Email through my email client?

How to send emails through your ISP | Flo Web Design Ltd

CST: Email settings for sending mail via ISP SMTP server

&%$*@# - WHY CAN'T I SEND MAIL???

Sending email from an ISP that blocks port 25 at Simplehost Web Hosting

Trouble sending mail? Can't send email? SMTP errors? - Saratoga Hosting Helpdesk

Cannot Send but can Receive Email

Verizon Email using your own using personal domain - Verizon FiOS | DSLReports Forums

FiOS and external SMTP server - Verizon FiOS | DSLReports Forums

I found one more page thaty is so important that I will make a separate post for it.

0 Likes
SamFrustrated

Please see Your Attention Needed: Re-configure Your Email Settings to Send Email | FiOS Internet | Residential ... It seems to describe our situaiton quite clearly. I see no indication it has been discontinued and all indication is that it should work. I followed the link near the bottom for step-by-step instructions then how to Configure Thunderbird to use port 465 for sending email | High Speed Internet | Residential Support .... It does not provide a server name but assuming that smtp.verizon.net is the same as before, it does not work.

0 Likes