Another why isnt my e-mail working thread...
carguyjosh
Enthusiast - Level 2

for about 2 weeks now I am unable to send e-mail through outlook. recieving them is no problem.  There seems to be no connection to the outgoing e-mail server. (outgoing.verizon.net) with the port set to 587 as it always has been.  My father down the road has thunderbird and says that his stopped working as well. the web mail sends and recieves just fine. Any ideas here?

Re: Another why isnt my e-mail working thread...
Hubrisnxs
Legend

go to www.verizon.com/repair and select the auto outlook fix. 

It should help.  it MAY be a firewall or an antivirus as well.  

0 Likes
carguyjosh
Enthusiast - Level 2

hello, thanks for the reply.

I tried that 2 days ago and it told me to call the 800 number. any other ideas?

edit: I have also now tried disabling my antivirus with no luck.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

do you have multiple email accounts configured in there or just this one?

Sometimes it's just easier to delete the old email profile and build it from scratch, so I would probably try that.

Sample settings

POP3 

incoming mail server: incoming.verizon.net

email address: youremail@verizon.net

username: youremail   (minus the @verizon.net)

password:  yourpassword

No SSL no Secure password authentication. 

outgoing

SMTP 

outgoing.verizon.net

Make sure it has a checkmark for my server requires authentication.

click on that more settings and then under the server tab click "use same as incoming" 

and then go to the advanced tab,  and select leave copy of message on server, and delete from server when I delete from trash

For verizon email's I don't believe 25 or 587 is import, so you can experiment with 25 or 587, I think either will work for you. 

if this isn't an @verizon.net email address, then let me know as it's slightly different. 

0 Likes
carguyjosh
Enthusiast - Level 2

thank you for the reply

have verified all settings and address configurations, but the e-mail is still not able to send, only recieve. This is the only e-mail account I have on outlook. Is there anything else I can do at this point?

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

There's a chance that the issue is unrelated to your email. Check your security software to see if it's scanning your outbound messages. This can cause the SMTP connection to timeout while it waits for the scan to finish.

Just a thought.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

that's an excellent point, just don't forget Antivirus's can also do that too - so look in your email settings for an email scanner, and then disable it or turn it off. 

0 Likes
Goodgrief2

I've not been able to send emails for about 2 wks as well, have changed outgoing server to 587, checked antivirus software, etc. to no avail.  I'm using MS Outlook 2007.  What else do I do to resolve this issue?

0 Likes
carguyjosh
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks for the ideas,

I have disabled my outgoing e-mail scanner, and am still not getting anything through.  I dont know how any of those settings would have changed, outlook worked fine before about 2 weeks ago now, and i havent changed or installed anything.  this is the error that outlook gives me:

Task 'Verizon - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

0 Likes
bwalt500
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same problem with sending emails with Outlook. Changed the outgoing port from 25 to 587 and it works now. I don't know that it matters but my inbound is 110

0 Likes