Any way around Verizon email server outages?
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

Like many, I was again the victim of another Verizon email server outage on Thursday.  I'm checking to see if anyone knows any way around this.  I have access to another  email server/address, but it goes away when VZ does.  It's tech guy says that VZ will not permit one to send/receive emails except via them.

Any way to work around this?

0 Likes
Re: Any way around Verizon email server outages?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can use whatever email service you want.  I own my own domain and use the email servers at my hosting company.  I also use gmail's servers with several email clients.

The only thing Verizon blocks is port 25.  No self-respecting email server should be using port 25 anyway, so that's not a problem.

Note that if the outages you're experienced are due to problems in Verizon's DNS servers, you can switch off those, too.  A DNS outage will take out all Internet services, not just Verizon email.  I haven't used Verizon DNS in years.  I use OpenDNS.  Many folks also use Google's DNS servers.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

gs0b wrote:

You can use whatever email service you want.  I own my own domain and use the email servers at my hosting company.  I also use gmail's servers with several email clients.

The only thing Verizon blocks is port 25.  No self-respecting email server should be using port 25 anyway, so that's not a problem.

Note that if the outages you're experienced are due to problems in Verizon's DNS servers, you can switch off those, too.  A DNS outage will take out all Internet services, not just Verizon email.  I haven't used Verizon DNS in years.  I use OpenDNS.  Many folks also use Google's DNS servers.

Enjoy.

While it's true that you can use any available server for out going email, I don't think it's true for incoming messages.

If your email address is xxxx@verizon.net, you have to use Verizon's POP3 or IMAP server to receive messages.

Right?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@eljefe wrote:

While it's true that you can use any available server for out going email, I don't think it's true for incoming messages.

If your email address is xxxx@verizon.net, you have to use Verizon's POP3 or IMAP server to receive messages.

Right?

There's a bit of confusion here.  I answered the question: "Can I use different email services?" The answer to that is, yes, you can use any email service and server you want.  The only rule is no port 25.

You've answered the question: "how else can I access Verizon.net email?"  You are correct that the only way to get access to inbound Verizon.net email is through Verizon's servers.  You are correct that there is no way around that.  Note that Verizon has only POP, not IMAP.

Services such as gmail that can be configured to pull email from Verizon's servers still connect using POP.  So, if Verizon's email servers are down, gmail won't be able to pull Verizon emaiil either.

Personally, I don't use Verizon's email servers for much.  I don't like having my email tied to my ISP for a variety of reasons including reliability.  I also like to be able to switch ISPs without changing my email address.  These days the cost to purchase and host a domain is rather low, so I think it's a great alternative to ISP provided email.

Good Luck.

starrin
Contributor - Level 3

To clarify a bit.  I work as a data aggregator. I could live with "out" only, as most of the time I gather the data, forward it in the blind, and have no way of knowing whether addressee has it or is using it until I check his site later in the morning.

To achieve that first, my thought is to set up one email client as though I was connecting directly to  the 2nd provider and send the email that way.  Achieving that, we could experiment with ports, etc for receiving

0 Likes
Satyrman

Yes, I finally got mine up and running after speaking to an agent.  Here is what you need to do.

In the settings tab on your email account(Outlook or whatever you are using) change the incoming and outgoing servers to the following:

Incoming:   pop.verizon.net

Outgoing:   smtp.verizon.net

Port Settings:   995/465

Use SSL on both incoming and outgoing.

I followed the above instructions an viola', my Outlook works again!!!!!  Yeahhhhhhhh.

0 Likes