Switch Account

Apparently thoughtless changes to SMTP configuration

Apparently thoughtless changes to SMTP configuration

Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I
Message 1 of 4
(1,169 Views)

Using Aquamail on Android device; suddently could not send from that device. Aquamail reports "authentication error 500 5.7.0 Unknown AUTH error -1 (Internal authentication error)"

Thanks to diligence by Kostya Vasilyev at Aquamail, problem solved: http://www.aqua-mail.com/?p=1716. No thanks to Verizon. Their page on email settings is frustratingly incomplete when the mail client has deep capability on authenticatiopn and encryption.

A little more forethought, Verizon, and maybe consideration of the trouble you can inflict on customers.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 2 of 4
(1,152 Views)

Yes, I don't know why Verizon suddenly started advertising support for CRAM-MD5 in their SMTP protocol.  It completely broke my MDaemon program, which doesn't currently have the ability to disable that protocol.  Thanks a lot Verizon.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 3 of 4
(1,109 Views)

Has anyone reported this to Verizon as an error on THEIR part or are all of us who don't have the capabiltiy to disable the new SMTP protocol out-of-luck?

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 4 of 4
(1,095 Views)

Its been reported.  I would guess some of the servers had an upgrade that was bad.  Unfortunately they have not givena general response about fixing it.  Most people have been getting around it just be configuring their cliens to use plain text for password, ignoring the CRAM-md5 advertisement.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.