Apple Mail and Verizon's notice of "Important Changes to your Verizon Email Account"
abcdefghij1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I thought I posted this early today but it didn't show up, so here I go again. The email says to do the following:

1. Incoming mail server (POP3)pop.verizon.net

2. Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995

3. Outgoing mail server (SMTP)smtp.verizon.net

4. Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465  Why is this important?

5. Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.

Using the Accounts Preferences in Mail, I see where to change the incoming and outgoing mail server and where to enable SSL. However, the Preference only has a single place to specify "Port" i.e. it  doesn't distinguish between incoming and outgoing port numbers. So how do I do that?

Also, I had asked whether I should do these changes as other threads in this forum seem to indicate that it can be problematic.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Apple Mail and Verizon's notice of "Important Changes to your Verizon Email Account"
Mikef4
Enthusiast - Level 2
DON'T DO IT - I stupidly changed my settings on my iPhone 4, and it fudged up my email - could not receive or send
Any email. I had to revert to the old settings, so that I can get emails.

Verizon did not test their changes very well
0 Likes
Re: Apple Mail and Verizon's notice of "Important Changes to your Verizon Email Account"
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

995 is the default for pop ssl so it shouldn't be a problem.  Set the smtp port to 465.

0 Likes