Can I change my e-mail address? So much junk!
DiWi
0 Likes
Re: Can I change my e-mail address? So much junk!
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

That depends on whether it is a primary username (can't be changed), alias (can be changed), or sub account (can be deleted and a new one created).

You can always create a sub account and use that instead of your primary for email, but you will still have to use the primary account for Account Management functions.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Somegirl is right, the only thing I would add as a cautionary tale about switching to a sub account, is that a main Verizon account holds 2gb of storage, and a sub account from verizon has a paltry 250 mb of storage.

That means if you get a lot of attachments or picture emails then that is going to fill up quick.

I would personally look at the Top 18 Free Email Services, and choose another one.

Also make sure to use best practices when using email on the internet.

1. You should start reporting the spam with a spam button in the webmail client
  2. Forward spam emails that were not caught to spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net
  3. Set your e-mail filter. An e-mail filter and spam blocking software are absolutely critical. Set these security measures to update automatically to ensure that you are protected from the latest threats.
  4. NEVER reply to spam. Replying to spam, even to "unsubscribe," could set you up for more spam.
  5. Protect your e-mail address and instant message ID. If you must post this information online, set up two identities, one for real use and one for online activities.
  6. Be wary of e-mail attachments. Change the settings on your e-mail program so that images and attachments are not opened automatically. Only open attachments from users known to you.
  7. Watch out for phishing scams. Don't click on links in e-mails or instant messages unless the sender is known to you. Instead, open a separate web browser and visit the site directly.
  8. Create smart and strong passwords. Use a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
  9. Never enter your personal information in a pop-up window. You may not be able to tell when a scammer has hijacked a seemingly legitimate site.
  10. Don't fill out online surveys, or register for contests or fan clubs. These may be fronts for spammers trying to collect your e-mail address

tns
Master - Level 2

It is actually possible get Verizon to change your primary account.  But its hard to reach anyone who can and will do it for you.  They are less likely to do it for you if you are just get lots of Spam.  Everyone does as there is more spam messages sent than real mail.

Those whose can report someone using their emails as a source for email, even after changing their passwords, are probably more likely to reach a sympathetic ear.  But then it is still reach hard to reach someone in Verizon who knows how to do this.  And of course seriously consider an alias for you primary email in the future so you can delete it if a similar problem occurs.

0 Likes
BobHadden

TNS,  Your post indicates that it is possible to change the primary account email address.  Can you please elaborate?  I need to kill my primary email address and move to one that is now a sub account.  tech support is saying not possible, but this is simply rediculous.  Do you know a way to talk to somenone who can accomplish this task?  They are telling me that only way to do it is to cancel my whole account.  This means loosing all my email addresses and is simply not a credible answer.  Please advise.  Thanks

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Not sure how they do it, but they did it for me at one point.

@BobHadden wrote:

TNS,  Your post indicates that it is possible to change the primary account email address.  Can you please elaborate?  I need to kill my primary email address and move to one that is now a sub account.  tech support is saying not possible, but this is simply rediculous.  Do you know a way to talk to somenone who can accomplish this task?  They are telling me that only way to do it is to cancel my whole account.  This means loosing all my email addresses and is simply not a credible answer.  Please advise.  Thanks

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if you ask around you will find that they will only do it if you disconnect service and reconnect service.  that is ONE big NIGHTMARE waiting to happen.  but you can do that, and then you get a new user id and email.    Other than that, I have not heard of it happening succesfully.    try opening a chat support or calling back in, but I am pretty sure you are going to find one universal answer, and that is that you can only do that if you disconnect and reconnect service.

0 Likes
BobHadden

Thanks for this info.  You have confirmed what tech support told me, but this is so stupid that it's hard to believe.  If you disconnect your service to kill your primary email addy, you are also permanantly killing any sub accounts you have.

So here's what I did.  Under the primary email address I emptied all the mail boxes (inbox, sent, trash etc),  then I created a filter that deleted any email containing my primary email address name.  Looks like it's working as there are still no messages in the in box hours later.  With this method, I can always go back into the account and change/delete the filter to use this address again.

The down side is that anyone sending an email to this address will not get a bounce.  The email just disappears and they get no response.  Too bad Verizon has such a dumb system.  It's almost as frustrating as their web pages that are so un-user friendly.

Again, thanks for your help.

0 Likes
DianeM1

How?  I have been trying to have the primary accoun changed since I got Fios because I never had the opportunity to pick my own address. I have called many times, written and given feedback . On 2 different calls I was told to disconnect my account. the first tech told  me  I could not have my choosen e-mail for 30 days because it is in use as a sub account. The second time I was told this was not true my account could be disconnected and reconnected with my choosen e-mail as te prmary. Because of the different things I was told I am hesitant to do this.  I need the primary because I need the larger storage because I have to save many of the correspondence because of my occupation. How do I contact the peron at verizon who can make this happen?

0 Likes