Can't send email using Windows Mail (Vista) through Anonymizer proxy server
PaulAndMuttley
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have recently installed a new version of Anonymizer which I need for access to a particular forum, but when it is connected I cannot send email. The message I got from Anonymizer support is as follows:

Anonymizer Universal blocks unencrypted mail port 25 to prevent abuse of our service by spammers. If you have an email address set up to use port 25, please contact your mail administrator to use an alternate port. We have found email providers prefer certain ports including 587 and 465. These ports generally require authentication and you may need to change your outgoing mail server to require authentication.

I tried these port numbers but they also gave errors. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't send email using Windows Mail (Vista) through Anonymizer proxy server
PaulAndMuttley
Enthusiast - Level 3

I found the thread on port 587 and I followed the advice on the link for Outlook Express.

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Email/Setup+And+Use/QuestionsOne/124306.htm

Windows Mail is slightly different but when I set the outgoing port to 587 without requiring authentication, and it seems to be working OK now. So I'll mark this as solved. This seems to be a major issue since November and it should be in the FAQs and easy to find with a search.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Can't send email using Windows Mail (Vista) through Anonymizer proxy server
PaulAndMuttley
Enthusiast - Level 3

I found the thread on port 587 and I followed the advice on the link for Outlook Express.

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Email/Setup+And+Use/QuestionsOne/124306.htm

Windows Mail is slightly different but when I set the outgoing port to 587 without requiring authentication, and it seems to be working OK now. So I'll mark this as solved. This seems to be a major issue since November and it should be in the FAQs and easy to find with a search.

0 Likes