Cannot Send Emails - SMTP email blocked by SPAMDETECTOR - Cloudmark
searay611
Enthusiast - Level 1

Problem started last Monday 6/14.  I have spend nearly 10 hours on the phone with Verizon (various departments).  I have even called HQ and complained there.  I left my direct number with them and told them NOT to call the number on muy account as it is a fax machine....after 2 days of watching the fax ring, I finally got a call back today.

In short, it's the same thing that happened this past Decemeber.  Found out about port 587 and the spam detercor and life went back to normal.  Then, last Monday, the Super Dooper Spam Detector Pooper shows it's head. 

Verizon has hired a third party to determine what is spam and what is not.  They do not know who this "third party is", and do not have anyway to change and there is no one to contact.  I guess if I lived in communist Russia, that would be one thing.  The lady today said we pay this company to which I quickly jumped in and said you PAY and do know to who?  Am I that **bleep**?

Now for the problem.  I am told if you have  a link in an email, it's spam (that can't be true).  I send the email's to spamdetector.update@verizon.net .  What I am now getting is that the email is determined to be spam.  That's it, no one to call, nothing to do.  If it was anything close to spam, than so be it.  And regardless, Verizon can do what ever they want with there products, services and policies.  I am however furious that my email (one at a time, hand crafted) is being spam...IT IS NOT and I resent anyone stating to the contrary.  If you pay CLOUDMARK.COM to check for spam, and customers call and complain...saying you can't do anything is a lie...saying you WON'T do anyting is more accurate and that is what I need to know.

I've been through the port 25, 587 thing.  Got disconnected into a 45 minute call when VZ tried to conference M$oft support (and they never called back).  I've had a ticked closed becaise the number they called was a fax machine....after telling support, don't call that number (it's a fax) and call THIS number.... On Wednesday, I sent several copies of emails and about 40 minutes on the phoen with Verizon..then called int he afternoon (takes 20 minutes to talk to anyone) onlt to find..."We don't have that in the record."

I have given up on them.   Monday's firth thing to do is switch, and dump Verizon (go ahead and sue me for the contract).  I have at least 10 hours on the phone.  I told the lady today, this email has CLOUDMARK.COM in it....could these be the **bleep** you pay that you cannot contact.   She said well, Yea, I think that might be them ..they really think we, as customer are  **bleep**.  

My email has worked just fine for over a year and now, some unknow this party, that Verizon pays, takes control of their email spam control and they cannot do anything about it????  What boat do you think we just got off of!  Sure, do something about spam but NOT at the expense of legitimate customer uses...and without notice???  Not fair.

I gues it is true that in order to get anything out of Verizon, you will first have to talk to all of those people just like in the Verizon commercial.  I'm making one more call to HQ and that is it.  This company deserves to go out of business.

Two weeks of this, stick a fork in me I am done...

Re: Cannot Send Emails - SMTP email blocked by SPAMDETECTOR - Cloudmark
SacredSpaces
Enthusiast - Level 1

Am having similar troubles but not as extreme. I keep getting simple ordinary email messages blocked, then I send an email protest to the spam detector with the feeling that I might as well be spending my time signing back up with Charter Communications or another carrier.

I would like to be able to route emails through my website again, like I did before June 1st. 

It is EXTREMELY frustrating to not be able to call tech support and talk to a knowledgable, genuinely helpful and intelligible person who is NOT reading from a script that invariably leads to dead ends. 

I have a small business and send out a simple newsletter every couple of weeks.  Now I get shut down ( i.e.   NO EMAILS FOR 24 HOURS AND THAT CANNOT BE CHANGED NO MATTER WHAT!!!)  - if I send to more than 100 recipients in one message or 500 messages in an hour.  Well, my mailing list is 800 people.  I spent a half day reconstructing that into 10 new email lists organised so I can find people to update addresses, etc....  Now I still have to time my messages to send them !!! 

I'm ready to give up electricity and go back to the woods!  Life was so much simpler. 

Peace, Judy

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would encourage you to read your Terms of Service ....

http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/pdfs_post071807/73157_verizon_ConsTOS0707.pdf

While I understand your frustration (I too run a small business, but I host my business activities in a commerical datacenter to which I have VPN access and a business "terms of service" relationship), I think you'll find that what you were doing was clearly in violation of your terms of service (namely 3.4) and that the limitations they may invoke are permitted by section 11.1.   This is pretty much the case with any residential ISP.

Now, if you have a small business account relationship with Verizon, then that's something different and I would urge you to read those terms to see what remedy may be availability to you.  On a residential service connection however, you don't have much to stand on.

Caveat Emptor

ksg
Enthusiast - Level 2

You could try some of the solutions mentioned on a blog with the interesting title "Peter's Useful Crap" . Or have a look at this blog that discusses a virtual SMTP server. Disclaimer - I'm a shareholder in the company discussed in the second blog

0 Likes