Re: Cannot access verizon email while overseas
alan241

I can tell you all for certain that this is still a problem.  My wife and I were in Montreal over the weekend and neither of our Android phones could get Verizon.net email over wifi.  We did not try Roaming because of the added data charges and our friends have a PC so my wife could check her email over the web interface.  My two web based clients Gmail and Yahoo worked fine over WiFi the whole trip.  Verizon is dropping the ball here.

0 Likes
Beemerx551
I've been in Europe a couple of weeks now and have been having the same problem. I contacted Verizon technical support and they got me working by enabling my specific IP address in their system. Unfortunately, since I have a dynamic IP that only worked for about four days until my IP changed and everything stopped working again. I'm assuming I'll have to contact technical support to have my new IP address entered everytime it changes.
0 Likes
BoardSailor
Enthusiast - Level 3

When preparing for my recent trip to Europe, I assured my business associates that I'd be checking my Email, as always, from my smart phone. As soon as I got to Europe, panic set in; the hotel provided a strong WiFi signal, but I my Verizon Email was non responsive. Thinking that perhaps my phone settings were wrong as a result of recent server and port changes for improved security, I spent a considerable about of time exploring various combinations. Later in the trip, when I spoke with a Verizon help desk agent via a VOIP connection, he failed to connect my difficulty with Verizon's European restrictions. Today, when I checked Verizon's web site that provides instructions for setting up Email on a smart phone, there was no hint of problems with European access. I got around my problem by having an associate in the USA monitor my Email, but Verizon needs to do a better job of communicating the European limitation to its customers.

0 Likes
coronasrgood
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just returned from Puerto Rico and had the same problems. I could not receive or send verizon emails from WiFi or when the phone was on 4G. When I was on LTE, all of the verizon emails would then begin to download. Verizon needs to resolve this issue.

0 Likes
gearbox1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since early September, Verizon decided to switch off all overseas email users.  Calling them is useless, you just get a standard reply "we are aware of the issue and attempting to resolve it within 24-48 hours".  Then 3 weeks later, I get a "we don't know".  The back story was due to preventing overseas hackers from accessing the site, which is fine, but what else is new.  But you would of thought that they could have alerted their users before switching off the service so other accomodations could be made.  And even now, after 3 months, they have not even sent out a simple email telling all users that their email service will not work overseas.  Tech support is out of India and is useless.  Calling them for updates is useless as well.  Best thing to do is to forward all your emails to a another account, if you are able to access your Verizon Webmail from where you are, and have the mail forwarded to another account like Gmail.  Verizon really screwed this one up and instead of eliminating hackers, they are rapidily losing customers. 

0 Likes
hermanlm

TNS_2: how does one get through to Verizon to whitelist an IP address?  Would it work when the IP addresses are dynamically allocated (as when connecting via a router using wifi)?

Traveling in Spain now and last time (a month ago) I had this problem I was in the Galapagos.  I couldn't connect for two full weeks and had no indicator from Verizon as to what the problem was.  Of course, I also couldn't find support on their web pages as well.  Found this forum but had to create a "community ID" to post and provide my non-verizon e-mail address as a point of contact.  Grrrr.

0 Likes
jaybag

Same problem here on Nov. 20th. Arrived in England yesterday, I connect to the Internet through a portable WiFi device I bought here (wayyy cheaper than roaming).  I've spent hours trying to figure out why none of my verizon e-mail has come through.  Chatting with tech support said the same as has been said on this forum - "we're working hard on a solution", etc.  It sounds like this won't be fixed anytime soon though. 

0 Likes
TrottToTravel

I have been having the same problem for months now when traveling abroad.  I assume Verizon email servers use antiquated software with secutiry holes the size of the Grand Canyon, which prompted the need for such draconic measures as implemented per September 17.  The problem though is, that hackers can easily reroute their access over rogue computers and servers within the US, thus masking their IP addresses and have their way with Verizon servers nonetheless.  The only group of people heavily affected by this new "lets-not-allow-non-us-ip-addresses-policy", is the law abiding paying Verizon customer, about whom Verizon seems to care remarkably little.  Go Verizon customer service!  Lily Tomlin was right: "We are the phone company.  We don't have to care!".  That was a while back though.  Get with the times, Verizon!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope.  They new servers are fairly up to date. 

But there was a massive breach of Verizon id's reported months ago. Probably some are now trying to exploit this info.

And if foreign groups of even governments have been attacking the White House and Department of state, you don't think that some also are targeting Verizon?  Just about every major company has been attacked in the last year.  Lose any credit card info with Target, Home Depot, etc.?  Personal info with Facebook or Yahoo?  Everyone is under attack.

0 Likes
djb5
Contributor - Level 3

I've been following this out of interest to see final resolution and am amazed (and very disappointed) to see that Verizon has still not notified customers that foreign access is not currently available.

We should all be glad that Verizon was willing to take action to protect customer's data, but I can't think of any reason or excuse for not telling customers that their service is limited. I know I spent a good deal of time while overseas trying to figure out why my email server was "not responding" and it was frustrating to have no way to access friends and family at home. Thankfully I was not trying to conduct business during that time.

I'm still sad that I had to switch to gmail, wasn't something I wanted to do, but felt I had no choice after losing faith in Verizon's failure to keep customers informed. I'm still struggling to learn how to manage my email via gmail (totally different), but in the end will be worth it.

0 Likes