Re: Cannot access verizon email while overseas
Ranger101
Enthusiast - Level 1

Remarkable, isn't it? This problem has been going on for months, and Verizon simply blows off it's customers. I travel extensively, and the only solution I've found is to go to the verizon website and sign in through it's clunky, non-smartphone friendly Webmail site. I have to tell clients to "Use Gmail when I'm abroad, Verizon when I'm in the States", which of course doesn't work as my clients don't always know when I'm traveling.

Verizon has adopted the old AT&T slogan- "We don't care....we don't have to"

Shameful.

Dickp1

This is such a mess, trying to deal with verizon on this. Does anyone know how to forward verizon email addresses to gmail?

I just looked at verizon webmail, and there does appear to be the option to forward email to another address. Lets hope that this solves the issue. Will not know until travel internationally again.

If anyone  has had experience with this, please let us know.

0 Likes
namore1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon Webmail does have an option in the Settings that allows forwarding. That is pretty simple to do. The samll issue is that it doesn't allow to keep original e-mails on the server, so, for me who is using MS Outlook for e-mails at home, I need to forward back all the e-mails received in Gmail.
The big problem though is that my call to Verizon today that lasted about an hour, included creating a ticket to resolve the problem by whitelisting my current IP address at the hotel I am at.  The ticket was created but ten hours later the issue was still unresolved.
When I said to the tech rep that I am shocked that this issue has not been resolved  for a month, when I first reported it (at that time I was told that it is hotel's issue that is blocking certain ports), I was reprimanded for not understanding that Verizon is taking security of its clients seriously.  When I said that  "...in this day of age when the world is globlal, not having access to e-mail is unacceptable", I was told that I should understand that "...in this day of age security is taking precendence over conveninece...".

namore1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Following up 28 hours after my initial call to Verizon as no-one followed up with me on the resolution of the ticket.  The good news is I did not spend another hour on the phone explaining and trying to resolve the matter.  The BAD news are that I was told that I will not be able to use any client software (in my case MS Outlook or Iphone's mail) to connect with Verizon severs.  The only way to access e-mail is Verizon webmail (which in my view is very incomvenient and at least ten years behind as compared to main webmail apps).  Or, forwarding e-mail to other web-based hosts like Gmail, which I've already done.
I asked whether Verizon is working on resolving the matter and was told that that is how it will be.  They can't allow having their servers compromised which supposedly is much more likely when accessed from overseas.  Case closed.  For starters, I am moving all my e-mail to Gmail, but will seriously think about dropping Verizon all together, despite their superior technology with respect to FIOS infrastructure in the US.

aarondawley

here it is dec.23rd. I am In Puerto Rico on vacation, no one in my family can get their email, unless we drive to a part of town with a strong enough 3g signal(Sprint, verizon only roams down here). I have been avoiding dropping Verizon because of the inconvenience of changing my email address, but I'm down here 3 or 4 times a year, if they can't provide service while I'm in US territory, I think they're not worth my monthly check.

0 Likes
toxicman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just spent an hour with support. It's clear that verizon blocks its customers from international access. The best they would offer me is to whitelist "my IP address". I told them that was stupid. How am I to know what IP Movistar Mexico would assign me as I move about. Or what IP I would get as I jump onto various wifi Hotspots. Verizon is dead to me. I'm so sorry I switched from a perfectly fine set of services from Optimum! The TV isn't better. The Internet may offer faster speeds in the upper tiers of service but the crappy apps and ineffective service certainly don't offset this kind of {word filter avoidance}.

Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes
Momos

I have another post on this same subject.

In November 2014 I traveled to UAE and for the first time was unable to log into my Verizon FIOS webmail account. I tried multiple computers and browsers, but it appeared the 2nd login screen (for password) was being blocked. However in December (25-30) I traveled to Indonesia and had no trouble: I could fully access my Verizon account and webmail. Nonethless before I left I had followed the advice written here and set my Verizon mail to forward to another account (my work email), which worked fine as well.

0 Likes
chkr

Using the Android Email app which works fine at home I was unable to receive or send mail last week in Hong Kong or Tapei. Now I know why. Was this policy change ever announced? At least there is an alternative: the FIOS Mobile app email works.

0 Likes
PaulJSpring
I set up an Outlook.com account that loads all my POP3 email accounts, without removing emails from the server. It's fairly easy to set up your phone or tablet to connect to Outlook.com. No forwarding required.
0 Likes