Cannot send email on outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net. Can receive.
spots1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been unable to send email since 22 July 2011 using Outlook 2000 and Windows XP. I get the following error "The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server. (Account: 'incoming.yahoo.verizon.net'  SMTP Server 'outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net',  error number: 0x800ccc0f).

Everything was working fine before 22 July. I've made no changes to port settings (110/587), user name, password etc. I thought is was a problem with Verizon since nothing on my computer seems to have changed but it's going on a week now. No problem receiving email. Has anything changed recently with outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net?? Thanks!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot send email on outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net. Can receive.
spots1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The ability to send email has just been restored. I will post what I just did though I cannot explain why it worked (unless the problem was the yahoo.verizon server and it just came back online while I was doing this). I went into the outlook options and changed the SMTP from outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net to outgoing.verizon.net to see what would happen (yes I was getting desperate). Of course I got an error and thus just went back in and changed it back to outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net and the second I hit apply the emails in the outbox sent. Just FYI, until this happened I could not send emails on any of the computers in the house (XP Vista Win7 Outlook 2000 Outlook 2007 etc).  Hope this helps someone.

View solution in original post

Techman28
Master - Level 1

I haven't seen anything regarding that however there is a trick to yahoo. Try signing in @ mail.yahoo.com

now when signing in there be sure you use your username@verizon.net and then the pw it should unlock the pop key on the yahoo side

0 Likes
spots1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Techman28, Thanks for the suggestion but I've been logging into mail.yahoo to send emails since this problem occurred. Just another bit of information. I used another computer in my house (Vista with Outlook 2007) and get the same result. Can receive but cannot send. That is why I assume it is a problem at the other end.

Techman28
Master - Level 1

Spots,

Try it now

I'm showing its working on port 25 for yahoo and wouldn't work on 587.

0 Likes
spots1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Techman28, I switched to SMTP port 25 still unable to send (I get the same error message). Stilling receiving email. I thought Verizon blocked port 25 and required us to use 587. Since 22 July I just assumed Verizon (yahoo) might have blocked 587 too and switched to a new port. You mentioned that you noticed 587 isn't currently working. Is it safe to assume it's a Yahoo server problem and not at my end? Thanks for the help. Spots

Techman28
Master - Level 1

for yahoo since they have their own servers they actually don't block 25 you can use that as well....I just tested with 587 now and it works it did seem to take a few extra min on port 25 to get the emails rather than 587 which was rather quick

spots1
Enthusiast - Level 2

It must be a problem at this end since you are able to send though I can't figure it out. I've checked the firewall, anti virus etc. And I did not change anything from the 21 to the 22 July. Outlook just stopped being able to send emails.

Techman28
Master - Level 1

what is the outlook error your getting the 0x error

spots1
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is what outlook says..."The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server. (Account: 'incoming.yahoo.verizon.net'  SMTP Server 'outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net',  error number: 0x800ccc0f).

Techman28
Master - Level 1

ok check for possible firewall issues on that computer. That's most likely what is causing the issue