Cannot use Outlook2010 to connect to Gmail with Verizon ISP
Hack88

I have a laptop that works just fine using Outlook2010 to connect to my Gmail POP3 account from multiple locations except my home where Verizon is my ISP.  I read several threads that Verizon blocks certain ports.  However, I use a SSL connection with incoming port 995 and outgoing port 465.  Neither of these was mentioned in the threads as being blocked.

Called Verizon tech support, which was hopeless.  The tech claims they only help with Verizon email.  He sent me to the Verizon premium service, which just wanted to sign me up for a monthly support contract.  The "tech" claims Verizon does not block any ports and that the problem is on my end.

I am ready to drop Verizon as my ISP.  Any ideas how to fix this?

0 Likes
Re: Cannot use Outlook2010 to connect to Gmail with Verizon ISP
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  This is  a place where customers help each other.  If you want a response from Verizon, you'll need to contact them using the options provided by the "contact us" link at the bottom of these pages.

I've never heard of Verizon blocking any ports except maybe outbound SMTP to non-Verizon servers on un-protected port 25.

I uses gmail's IMAP server over FiOS without any problems.  I'm using Thuderbird with port 993 (SSL/TLS) for IMAP and 465 (SSL/TLS) for SMTP.

Are you using Windows?  It can be setup to have different security and firewall settings for different connections.  That might be an issue.  While unlikely, you could have an odd setting in your router.  And of course, it could be a Outlook configuration issue.

If you post more details, some of us here might be able to offer more specific suggestions.

Good Luck

Re: Cannot use Outlook2010 to connect to Gmail with Verizon ISP
Hack88

Verizon was totally stumped.  I had several techs take control of my laptop only to be told that they did not support Outlook.  They agreed that my laptop could not connect to any email server (including Verizon.net) via outlook with Verizon as my ISP and kept saying that this was an Outlook issue since the Verizon email server was working and I could reach the internet.  I even moved to a different location with a different ISP and offered to let them take control of the laptop and see that Outlook was now connecting to all of the email servers.  In the end, I got rid of Verizon and signed up with another ISP..  

0 Likes