Changing an alias to a sub-account
stelsey

I have seen several posts regarding supervisors being able to change an alias account into a sub-account.  I want to retain the account with domain services.  I've spent serveral hours with support and they say it cannot be done.  True?

I also had the thought of saving all the information/mail from the existing alias account, deleting the alias account, creating a sub-account with the same name as the deleted alias account, and importing the information/mail.  I was told I cannot create a sub-account with the name of the old alias account even though it no longer exists.

My third option is to notify individuals and instaitutions that the alias name is going away.  There may be problems with subscriptions, etc. that want you to log in from the account used to create their account.

And the fourth option is to forget about domain services for now.

Can anyone help, especially anyone who successfully changed an alias account into a sub-account?

Steve

0 Likes
Re: Changing an alias to a sub-account
Hobnob123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Steve,

Don't worry about your email Aliases no longer functioning - they will continue to function.  They carry forward after you've disconnected your Verizon Internet service as long as you make sure that the Verizon CSR that cancels your internet service retains your "Broadband Essentials and Extras" service (Verizon Your Domain.)  Be sure to first check VYD SiteControl email settings to make sure that your email accounts have all been "linked".

The Alias "issue" is actually a non-issue propogated due to either a misunderstanding or misinterpretation by the VYD tech folks. They insisted it was an issue, advising changing aliases into sub-accounts, while the Email department insisted it wasn't an issue & that aliases carry forward with VYD.  It appears that the email department is correct:

After much needless worry, I dropped my FiOS Internet service over a week ago & all three of my email addresses that use Aliases (1 primary & 2 sub-accounts) are still working just as they did prior to the disconnect.  I can still log in to "My Account" (only place you can change your password - Profile/Manage Account Settings) as well as the webapp & POP3/SMTP.  I'm not sure if having VYD allows you to retain your "Verizon Account" (minus the internet service), which is what keeps the email functioning the same, or if it's the link to VYD created by VYD-SiteControl but, for me, all email is functioning just as it did prior to the disconnect.

My FiOS internet service was stopped immediately after my cancellation call, and was soon removed from "My Account" service listings, so it seems like the cancellation process is complete.  However I hadn't written this up previously because I'm still waiting to make sure nothing changes over the course of a few weeks, but I'm now fairly confident the disconnect process is complete & all remains the same for email, including aliases.

Regardless, do NOT delete an alias, as you will NOT be able to either restore it or create a new sub-account using a removed alias!

stelsey

Many thanks.  I indeed have been caught in the middle between domain services who insist only the three accounts they list will be retained and an alias account cannot be retained and technical support who thought it would be okay and the alias account would indeed continue to be forwarded.

I haven't been able to create an alias account so I could experiment with deleting it and creating a sub-account, but it's moot if I wouldn't be able to create a sub-account with the same name as the deleted alias account.  I suspect there is code that prevents duplicate names and if by-passed could vreate additional problems down the road.

I don't have an actual web page to link to, but I don't think that will matter.  My primary interest is in shifting to the new town-wide fiber link with minimum speed of 10 mbsand ditching the DSL that has been lowered to 0.8 to prevent it from hanging almost daily.  No FIOS in town, so that's not an option.

Again, many thanks for sharing your positive experience. 

0 Likes
stelsey

Just an update for readers.  I am dealing with a serious family illness and liklely won't have time to deal with my domain conversion for a while.  I have not even signed up for a domain and will need to do that as well.  I have no reason to doubt the solution will not work, but cannot attest to it personally.

Steve

0 Likes