Compatability problems with 2.0 Verizon webmail
jacqunhappy
Enthusiast - Level 1

We cannot use 2.0 Verizon webmail without encountering bugs - seems that our current Safari browser is not compatible with this new version. Spoke with technical rep today and have asked that our problem be escalated. We cannot load a newer version of Safari browser without an upgrade to our iMc operating system. So unless a workaround is found and given to us by Verizon, we will give up our verizon email addresses and set up email with another company. Too bad that Verizon would force us into a new version of their webmail without informing us we cannot do the basics. On our iMac we cannot forward emails with message content. Using the Safari on our iPad, we cannot write emails (not given access to message area), cannot scroll through the full content of emails and the list goes on. Also Verizon 2.0 webmail is slower not faster!!!

Re: Compatability problems with 2.0 Verizon webmail
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry that you are having troubles with your older version of Safari. I would recommend Firefox for your email access. If you dont already have it, you can download it for free.

0 Likes
Buffy3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same problem on my iPad I could not reply or compose mail.  It was suggested that I use the mobile version of the web mail and I can at least use it now.

Try m.verizon.com and see if it works for your email.  This is a verizon design problem and they are aware of it.  Lets hope it gets fixed soon.

Buffy3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Opps my mistake the mobile web site is

m.verizon.net

Sorry I think I need another cup of coffee .....

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Older versions of Safari are notorious for their lack of support for newer browser capabilities (same with people running Windows 9x systems running IE6 nad older).  In the ever changing world of technology, you always need to keep reasonably up to date -- if for no other reason than to close any known security issues.  Frankly, get one of the free browsers like Firefox and be done with it or upgrade to a newer version of OSX.  

Better still, if you're stuck in the mud for some reason, why are you even using the web mail interface?  Setup the i.Mail client and pull the mail onto the Mac directly.

Same for the iPad, you shouldn't be using the browser interface ... set it up to pull the mail onto the iPad instead.

If none of that works for you, use a different webmail interface to access your mail.  For example, convert your Verizon experience to use the "Yahoo" portal instead (this goes thru Yahoo instead of the Verizon webmail interface although it's completely transparent to you and your email address).  You can select this from your account settings on verizon.net.

If you're more technically inclined, you can also setup a Gmail account and configure it to poll your Verizon mail account and pull the mail into it.  You can even it set it up to allow you to send as "@verizon.net" addresses.   This is a bit more complicated, but Gmail has a walkthru for setting it up.

KIAC
Enthusiast - Level 3
SSL Report: mail.verizon.com (206.46.232.15)
Assessed on:  Tue Jun 21 19:23:05 UTC 2011 |
Assessment failed: Unable to connect to server

Common Error Messages

• Connect timed out - server did not respond to our connection request
  • No route to host - unable to reach the server
  • Unable to connect to server - failed to connect to the server
  • Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection? - the server responded with plain-text HTTP on HTTPS port

Known Issues

• Could not generate DH keypair - due to a known problem with the underlying SSL library (Sun's JSSE implementation) we are unable to assess the sites that only offer DHE handshakes stronger than 1024 bits.

SSL Report v1.0.83

Summary
Overall Rating
A
Certificate

Protocol Support

Key Exchange

Cipher Strength

The scores are explained in the SSL Server Rating Guide 2009.
This server is vulnerable to MITM attacks because it supports renegotiation (more info here).
Details

Certificate Information Common names signin.verizon.com Alternative names - Prefix handling Not required for subdomains Valid from Fri Oct 29 16:51:22 UTC 2010 Valid until Fri Nov 11 01:11:24 UTC 2011 (expires in 4 months and 22 days) Key RSA / 2048 bits Signature algorithm SHA1withRSA Server Gated Cryptography No Weak key (Debian) No Issuer Cybertrust SureServer Standard Validation CA Next Issuer     GTE CyberTrust Global Root   TRUSTED Chain length (size) 3 (2791 bytes) Chain issues None Validation type Not sure Revocation Information CRL Revocation Status Good (not revoked) Trusted Yes

Protocols TLS 1.2 No TLS 1.1 No TLS 1.0 Yes SSL 3.0 Yes SSL 2.0+ Upgrade Support Yes SSL 2.0 No

Cipher Suites (sorted by strength; server has no preference) TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA (0x2f) 128 TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA (0x33)   DH 1024 bits (p: 128, g: 1, Ys: 128) 128 TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA (0xa) 168 TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA (0x16) 168 TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA (0x35) 256 TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA (0x39)   DH 1024 bits (p: 128, g: 1, Ys: 128)256

Miscellaneous Test date Tue Jun 21 19:32:12 UTC 2011 Test duration 29.283 seconds Server signature Apache Server hostname - Session resumption Yes Renegotiation Insecure Renegotiation Supported INSECUREStrict Transport Security No TLS Version Tolerance 0x0304: 0x301; 0x0399: 0x301; 0x0499: fail PCI compliant Yes FIPS-ready No Ephemeral DH 1024 bits (p: 128, g: 1, Ys: 128)

Re: Compatibility problems with 2.0 Verizon webmail
freelian
Enthusiast - Level 1

The browsing software I have at work is good enough for banking, buying and selling stock, gmail, Amazon, and countless other websites.  But apparently, it is no longer good enough for checking my email at Verizon.  Changing browsing software on my work computer is not an option.  This email change is unwanted and unwelcomed.  It just makes my life a little harder.