Configuring gmail
tpxdmd

I had been sending and receiving my verizon.net through the gmail webclient for ages. I recently changed my primary account, but Verizon ported my old verizon.net address to my new fios account. Except now I can't send and receive emails through gmail. 

I've gone through the steps I've found elsewhere, I've used multiple POP servers (incoming.verizon.net port 110, pop.verizon.net port 995), tried with SSL on, SSL off, etc.

Every time I get an error. When I use the settings posted, I get the following:

Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password.
Server returned error: "[AUTH] Authentication failed"

Any help will be very appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Configuring gmail
tpxdmd

Oh I'd also like to say that I tried to set up mail forwarding from within the verizon web portal, and that isn't working either. Twenty-four hours, and no forwards.  I'm totally lost here.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@tpxdmd wrote:

I had been sending and receiving my verizon.net through the gmail webclient for ages. I recently changed my primary account, but Verizon ported my old verizon.net address to my new fios account. Except now I can't send and receive emails through gmail. 

I've gone through the steps I've found elsewhere, I've used multiple POP servers (incoming.verizon.net port 110, pop.verizon.net port 995), tried with SSL on, SSL off, etc.

Every time I get an error. When I use the settings posted, I get the following:

Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password.
Server returned error: "[AUTH] Authentication failed"

Any help will be very appreciated.

Are you able to send and receive from Verizon webmail directly? If not, it's probably an account issue and Verizon will have to sort it out. Be sure to present it to tech support as a send/receive issue with webmail, as mentioning Gmail might cause them to brush it off as a Gmail problem.

If webmail works, then it's most likely a configuration issue.

For the sake of example, we are going to pretend that we are setting up fictional account "fakeacct@verizon.net" and the password for logging into that account in webmail is "fakepassword" - Again, this is a fictitious account for the sake of an example.

The settings for using Verizon's servers in Gmail would be:

Username: fakeacct

Password: fakepassword

POP Server: pop.verizon.net

Port: 995

(?) Leave a copy of message on server (This is your preference)

(x) Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retreiving mail.

These settings should work unless you have a Verizon/Yahoo account, in which case the server name would be: incoming.yahoo.verizon.net

0 Likes
keigwindt

I've tried using these settings for both servers without success, the server is engaged but then replies with "authentication failure".   I have verizon/yahoo mail, and can only login through the Verizon portal, not the Yahoo portal (even when Verzion acct set-up forwards me there for profile changes).  Could this be part of the problem

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure what other settings you have available with gmail.  Those mentioned earlier by SOMEGIRL are the ones you WANT to use.  Only other note is to make sure you tell it to send a clear text password (ssl protects it).

Only other odd thing is if you for some reason also have the yahoo interface active.  If you are using GMAIl you want to get rid of the Yahoo interface first.

0 Likes