E-Mail 20 Message Limit?
jt310

Trying to send out a newsletter to some of my customers using GroupMail.  Have several different "Groups" to send to but largest Group is 64. Put together the newsletter and ran it through "IsNotSpam" to make sure it shouldn't cause any problem in that regard.  Got a score of 1.4 where it takes a score of 10 to be considered Spam so that should be OK.  Started the sending process (GroupMail loads all of the E-Mail addresses into a Queue then sends each msg individually.) First 20 messages went out without a problem.  Got the following Error on everything after the 20th msg.

Failed: <Send To Address>
     - Error with sending sender
     - Server says: 450 4.2.1 Authentications from <Sent From Address> are declined at this time
     - code:4 : MAIL Command Error. The Email Address you are using as your From Address (Account Manager, Properties) has been rejected by the mail server you using. Please make sure that you are using the correct identity details for this server.

Checked with GroupMail but they said it is the Verizon Server that is rejecting the msgs for some reason. 

The <Sent From Address> is exactly the same in the first 20 as in the 44 that Failed.  If Verizon has a 100 recipients per  msg limit, why is it failing everything after 20.  Have tried twice now with the same results.

Anyone got any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: E-Mail 20 Message Limit?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They also have a limit of 500 recipients an hour, but you imply you are not exceeding that.  IF you do the results are nasty.

Limitations on Sending Email

The following limits apply with respect to sending Email from your verizon.net Email account. These rules are in place in order to help fight spam (i.e., unsolicited Email). For more information on Verizon Online's efforts to fight spam, please see the Verizon Online Anti-Spam Policy at www2.verizon.net/policies.

• You may not include more than 100 recipients in a single Email. Messages will not be sent to any recipients in excess of 100.
  • You may not exceed 500 recipients in 1 hour. Exceeding 500 recipients in 1 hour will result in the suspension of your ability to send Email for 24 hours. This does not affect your ability to receive Email.
0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Does GroupMail send them as all one message, or as individual messages? If it's individual messages, I wonder if you're triggering some secret SMTP block? (Please note: This is pure speculation, I have no information to suggest this is in any way the case.) I imagine that having an address simultaneously request sending for 100 different messages, it might look suspicious.

Have you tried sending the messages via another mail client? Have you tried sending from webmail?

0 Likes
jt310

Thanks Somegirl,

Verizon states that you can't include more than 100 recipients in a single E-Mail message or more than 500 messages in an hour but as you suggest, they may have some additional restrictions which aren't listed.  Today I finally figured out how to send to a selected group (not the complete list) and as long as I only send 20 messages at a time on Verizon, they go through fine.  After sending 2 batches to 20 people each on Verizon, I had a balance of 44 names which I sent in one shot using G-Mail. 

Now that I know how to deal with the Verizon limit and can also use G-Mail, I should be all set. 

0 Likes
dipol

I seem to have the same problem. When sending to a mailing list using a third-party program, Verizon cuts off outgoing emails after the 20th email sent, sends error messages for the next couple of emails, then continues with another batch of 20 emails, cuts off, sends another 20, etc etc.

This appears in direct violation of Verizon's own terms which state "You may not include more than 100 recipients in a single Email. Messages will not be sent to any recipients if the Email has more than 100 recipients.
You may not exceed a total of 500 Emails in 1 hour.
You may not exceed a total of 1,000 Emails per 24 hour period.
Exceeding 500 recipients or Emails in 1 hour or 1,000 Emails in a 24 hour period will result in the suspension of your ability to send Email for 24 hours. This does not affect your ability to receive Email."

I am wondering if anyone has an explanation why Verizon cuts off after 20 emails - this is nowhere mentioned in their policies.

Thanks

0 Likes