E-mail system does not work
Bill_L2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon needs to find somebody other than AOL to handle E-mail.

My Outlook (desktop computer) keeps asking me for my password, and then says "Send/Receive" error even though I give it exactly the same password I use for my server-side account. This started last week, AOL has done nothing to fix it, and now I can't sent or receive E-mail via Outlook.

The last time I asked Verizon for help, they transferred me to AOL, which told me I needed to give them a credit card to open a paid support service even though I made it very clear to them that I was already paying Verizon for the services. That is, AOL attempted to double-bill me for a service for which I am already paying. This is an extremely serious issue that makes it impossible for me to recommend AOL, and therefore Verizon, as long as it persists. AOL has also attempted to put ads on my server-side page even though it is a paid rather than a free account.

In any event, the problem has persisted for about a week, and I have not been able to download or send (via Outlook) any E-mail today. The error code is 0x800CCC92 which says the server rejected my login information, even though I have no problem accessing the server-side mail.aol.com E-mail page with the same user ID and password.

0 Likes
Re: E-mail system does not work
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon essentially decided to not run  their email service any longer.  There were plenty of compaints about the then Verizon email services being old and not having current features such as IMAP and working SPAM filters.  SInce they had bought AOL and later Yahoo, they decided to combine email services with them.    Those already using the Verizon Yahoo interface were allowed to stay with Yahoo and overyone else went to AOL.  Probably some employees and equipment also changed over to them.  Last year AOL and Yahoo were put under the Verizon OATH brand.

Re: E-mail system does not work
Bill_L2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recall quite well sending numerous E-mails, and maybe even postal mails, to Verizon's Investor Relations Department to complain about the spam filter blocking legitimate outgoing E-mails, and also incoming E-mails including a safety-related product recall, E-mail from .gov and .edu addresses (not faked, either), and even Verizon itself. These issues have admittedly improved since then, however.

AOL has meanwhile fixed the problem, and my Outlook program works again with no trouble.

0 Likes