EMail filter rule created by hacker?
PVodola1

Amazon didn't recognize my login and in the process of investigating the problem we noticed that I couldn't get any of their EMails. I pursued the problem with Verizon through chat. Verizon suggested adding Amazon to my "safe list" and helped me find the EMail filtering options. Verizon created a rule to move EMail from Amazon.com to my inbox. When they opened the filter form, there was already a rule there instructing EMail from Amazon to be moved to a GMail address that was clearly unusual. Surprisingly, the Verizon rep thought nothing of it and was going to leave both rules there until I began questioning it. No one I know purposely created that rule. The possibilities that occur to me are that someone is hacking inside Verizon or there is a "virus" that someone in my family "enabled" which created the filter rule.

Is this familiar to anyone? How could it be connected to my Amazon account being unrecognized? I run MS Security Essentials and keep all software up to date.

Thanks,

Paul Vodola

0 Likes
Re: EMail filter rule created by hacker?
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

Interesting and bizarre situation. After a recent experience of having one of my email accounts hacked (not a Verizon account), I'd suggest changing your email account password if you've not done that already and I'd suggest also changing your password at amazon too. While running antivirus and antimalware (I'd recommend like Malwarebytes Antimalware myself--I use the free version) is a good idea, it didn't surprise me that your system scanned clean.

richexclaim

This exact thing just happened to us - there was a Filter set by a random hotmail user which diverted all mails from Amazon to that hotmail address and then deleted it.  I have filed a formal complaint with Microsoft which now owns hotmail. 

Anyone else experience this?

Shouldn't Verizon have alerted us that someone changed the Filter settings?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@richexclaim wrote:

This exact thing just happened to us - there was a Filter set by a random hotmail user which diverted all mails from Amazon to that hotmail address and then deleted it.  I have filed a formal complaint with Microsoft which now owns hotmail. 

Anyone else experience this?

Shouldn't Verizon have alerted us that someone changed the Filter settings?

If someone changed your filter settings, they did so from within your account. Verizon doesn't know that someone else has accessed your account. As far as their servers can tell, you made the changes.

0 Likes
bruteforce1
Enthusiast - Level 3

what does it mean when you get tons of undeliverable mail back and you did not send any mail

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Several possibilities

• Some virus/Trojan has taken over your system and is sending out emails.  MAKE SURE TO SCAN FOR Viruses.
  • Some one has gotten your Verizon Email password,  CHANGE IT IMMEDIATELY
  • Some one is just faking your email address.  Absolutely nothing you can do about it unless you feel like going through the hassle of changing out your email address.