Re: Email Account Setup Changes -- can't send email now
Justin46
Legend

@LindaCh wrote:

I made the changes as per the e-mail from verizon and I can no longer send e-mail.  I can receive, but not send.  I used Windows Live Mail.  Any hints?

Thanks.

Why do you need hints? A week ago I posted a thread here documenting the Windows Live Mail settings that work for me, have worked just fine for many months:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Windows-Live-Mail-SSL-Account-Definitions-for-verizon...

Keller, TX 76248

Re: Email Account Setup Changes
Ginge43

Hi Justin and thank you for the great answer.  Since you so good I wonder if you have any information on this - it's a message I get all the time in my Thunderbird Error Counsel: incoming.verizon.net : server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555.

Any idea what it means?  It appears that it does not affect my email.  Should I worry about it?

Thanks,

Carl

0 Likes
Tim8868
Enthusiast - Level 1

I followed these instructions no problem, but when I do a test it fails.  I changed my setting back to 110 and 587 no ssl and it works fine.  This makes me wonder have these changes been implemented yet.  If they have then why are my old settings still working?

Thanks,

Tim

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Ginge43 wrote:

Hi Justin and thank you for the great answer.  Since you so good I wonder if you have any information on this - it's a message I get all the time in my Thunderbird Error Counsel: incoming.verizon.net : server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555.

Any idea what it means?  It appears that it does not affect my email.  Should I worry about it?

Thanks,

Carl

Hi Carl,

Unfortunately I am not going to do so good on this one Smiley Sad

I haad never heard of this message, but when I went to look at the Error Console in Thunderbird, sure enough, I see those messages too. Had never looked before. Note that the message is in the "Information" messages category as opposed to Warnings or Errors, so I don't think Mozilla views this "problem" as very severe.

I Googled "thunderbird server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555" and got lots of hits. After wading through a lot of pretty much totally incomprehensable text, I selected a few links you might want to peruse:

Common vulnerabilities and Exposures website (where the CVE in the message comes from): https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2009-3555

Mozilla website: https://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2010/mfsa2010-22.html

Mozilla website: http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topics/what_does_error_message_mean

Hopefully you will understand what they are saying better than I do Smiley Very Happy

The way I interpret the situation is that there has been a possible secure exposure identified in some Microsoft server code that may allow a "man in the middle" exposure to someone gaining access to your messages to insert bad stuff or read your stuff. Apparently the likelyhood of this happening is very small, but Mozilla decided to warn users about it (it doesn't appear any other email or browser developers have done so based on what I read). Plus I interpret the second link to say that Mozilla has developed a fix in 2010 to avoid the potential problem.

So that is all I know. My opinion is that you should just ignore the messages, but I am far, far, far from being an expert on this kind of stuff, so my opinion may not be worth very much.

Maybe somebody with more knowledge on this issue will chime in with more info.

Sorry, that is the best I can do......

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Tim8868 wrote:

I followed these instructions no problem, but when I do a test it fails.  I changed my setting back to 110 and 587 no ssl and it works fine.  This makes me wonder have these changes been implemented yet.  If they have then why are my old settings still working?

Thanks,

Tim

What instructions, the ones in the Verizon email (very vague), or some other instructions? What email client are you using?

I have been using SSL on my Verizon email accounts for many months now, at least 4 or 5 months, in three different email clients (Windows Live Mail, Outlook Express, and Mozilla Thunderbird), so yes it has been implemented.

Verizon has not supported SSL for email previously, now they are. It is a staged implementation, the old non-SSL interface continues to work, and probably will for some time (no clue how long), maybe for a long time. But at some point I expect Verizon to require the switch to SSL. Many email providers, probably most, have supported SSL for quite a while, and some require use of it, Verizon has been slow to jump on the bandwagon.

I think it is a good step forward for all of us, and I encourage all Verizon email users who use an email client on their computer to switch to using SSL so their emails will be encrypted (this implementation does not apply to users who access their Verizon email via a browser, such as IE, Firefox, Google Chrome, or Safari).

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: Email Account Setup Changes - I fugured it out - I needed to check another box
Tim8868
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have outlook 2007.  It does not say Home Student or Professional on the box just Outlook 2007.  I was using the posted 2010 instructions

I needed to check

Check box "This Server requires an encrypted connection(SSL)

The settings are very similar for Outlook.  I have Outlook 2010. 

While in Outlook, go to File

Choose Account Settings

Higlight your verizon account and select Change.

Select More Settings...

Go to the Advance tab for where you need to make the changes...

Under 'Incoming server (POP3): 995

Be sure to check "This server requires an encrtyped connection (SSL)"

Under "Outgoing server (SMTP):  465..."

Check box "This Server requires an encrypted connection(SSL)

Be sure to set "Use the following type of encrypted connection:" to SSL

There was also a link that gave pretty much the same instructions

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Email/Setup+And+Use/QuestionsOne/128849.htm

0 Likes