Re: Email Security Settings Change
Triv1

Not obvious to me if settings on Desk Top computers supporting Vista Windows Mail need to be changed. The message was sent to my wife who uses an Apple I-pad but not to me who has used Verizon DSL since 2009. Please reply.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Triv wrote:

Not obvious to me if settings on Desk Top computers supporting Vista Windows Mail need to be changed. The message was sent to my wife who uses an Apple I-pad but not to me who has used Verizon DSL since 2009. Please reply.

If you have not changed your settings in the last several years then yes, yours almost certainly need to be changed. Verizon is discontinuing their old email servers and replacing them with software using greater security, like SSL protocol. You should be able to use for guidance the settings that Verizon has provided for Outlook Express (Windows XP) or any of the other email clients Microsoft supplies (Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, Outlook) to make the changes.

The important changes are: server names, ports used, SSL encryption protocol, and possibly text authentication protocol.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1) 

0 Likes
kdscalling

I use Thunderbird email client.  The instructions did not include Thunderbird.  I looked at the Old settings and they were incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net.   I updated to the new settings and shut down Thunderbird.  I did not restart the computer.  Once I reopened Thunderbird, it no longer was communication with verizon.  Do I need to restart the computer or is there something unique about Thunderbird?

0 Likes
mwmcdo

I've made the requested changes and now all email between 1/31 and today has been removed from my account. How do I get my email back?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kdscalling wrote:

I use Thunderbird email client.  The instructions did not include Thunderbird.  I looked at the Old settings and they were incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net.   I updated to the new settings and shut down Thunderbird.  I did not restart the computer.  Once I reopened Thunderbird, it no longer was communication with verizon.  Do I need to restart the computer or is there something unique about Thunderbird?

No need to restart the computer.  I, Like many of us, am using Thunderbird with no problem.

See thread http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Configure-Thunderbird-for-Verizon-net-email/m-p/69439... where I posted my screen images for Thunderbird.

0 Likes
unclejeff

I m using Outlook 2007.

I followed recommended settiing changes exactly ( incoming to pop, outgoing to smtp, ssl enabled, ports 995 and 465.

tried on both PC and tablet

keep getting error messages - even after restart:

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

please any suggestions

thanks

unclejeff

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@unclejeff wrote:

I m using Outlook 2007.

I followed recommended settiing changes exactly ( incoming to pop, outgoing to smtp, ssl enabled, ports 995 and 465.

tried on both PC and tablet

keep getting error messages - even after restart:

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

please any suggestions

thanks

unclejeff

You probably missed something.  E.g. did not change to clear text password. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT SPEIFY USING SPA (secure paasword authentication)

This page http://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/highspeedinternet/email/setup+and+use/questionso... specifically discusses Outlook 2007.

If you can't get it to work CREATE a new thread that includes all you non-confidential settings (obscure userid, password, etc).

0 Likes
unclejeff

Thanks - but I'm not sure what you mean by " did not change to clear text password"

unclejeff

0 Likes
Lcaplinger

I am computer illiterate and have no clue how to do the reset.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@unclejeff wrote:

Thanks - but I'm not sure what you mean by " did not change to clear text password"

unclejeff

The old servers allowed Secure Password Authorization.  This was important when SSL was not in use as without it your password was able to be seen during your signon.  Now that they are enforcing SSL/TLS during signon its not necessary and they no longer support it. 

Your password must be sent as is listed by some email clients as Normal, Clear, or unencrypted.  I believe for ALL the Outlooks its NOT checking the SPA (secure password authorization.

0 Likes